Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Really Need Help with Cukes

Posted by sayhellonow 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 30, 11 at 23:02

I have so many cukes this summer and want to preserve them somehow. I don't want pickles and I've already made relish. Also, I don't have a freezer or a pressure canner either. Soooo I found this recipe for cucumber soup that I think I'll love (posted below). Now my question is: Can I can the soup with the dairy products, or can it without the dairy stuff and then add them just before serving? I'm fairly new to canning, so I appreciate any tips you can give me. Thanks, and here's the recipe:
Carolyn
-----------------------

Chilled Cucumber Soup

Ingredients:

2 large cucumbers
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry dill weed
1 cup lemon juice
2 8-oz cartons plain yogurt or sour cream
2 cups half and half (sub. milk?)
Milk as needed for thinning
Chopped chives and cucumber slices for garnish

Directions:

1. Peel and seed the cucumber and puree in a blender.
2. Pour in the sour cream and 1/2 and 1/2 and mix well....add milk as needed to thin if desired.
3. Chill and serve garnished with chives and cuke slices.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Really Need Help with Cukes

No you cannot, sorry. That is a cooking recipe, and an excellent one too, but you cannot can cooking recipes.

No dairy products are allowed in home canned foods. No milk, butter, oils, half and half, cream, yogurt, cheese, etc. Not only can they turn rancid but the fats they contain insulate any bacteria, prevent the heat from killing them, and create the perfect little cocooned environment for bacterial growth.

Besides, depending on the type of bacteria present about 10 days to 2 weeks after you put it in the cabinet for storage the gases produced by the bacterial growth would either pop the tops or even explode the jars and you'd have one big stinky mess to clean up. :)

But the good news is you can make and freeze it if you wish. It will change the texture when thawed but it will be safe to eat.

Dave

o

Thank you Dave. But can I make the soup without the dairy products, can it, and just add the dairy right before serving?

o

Well the short answer is no. As I said it is a cooking recipe. That means it has never been tested, never had a processing method determined for it, no jar size indicated, and never had a processing time recommended.

So look at it this way: if you put
2 large cucumbers
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry dill weed
1 cup lemon juice

How would you answer these questions:

is the pH safe?
what is the density supposed to be?
how do I process this? In a pressure canner or a BWB?
how long do I process it?
how long can it store on the shelf?
would it be safe to eat?

See the problems?

Dave

o

Not to mention that in the recipe the cucumbers are NOT cooked, and in any type of effective canning you would require cooking. You could possibly say that freezing is an option, but I think you will find that frozen cucumbers are not very pleasant!!

o

LOL, OK, you've convinced me. I had thought that, since there's so much lemon juice, I might be able to get away with it. But I guess I'll just give away some cucumbers. Thank you again, Dave.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here