Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picked pears too early

Posted by sautesmom z9 Sacramento CA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 23:10

I have some pears that I think I picked about a month too early--should I toss them, or will they be tasty enough to can or use in a recipe?

Thanks

Carla in Sac

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picked pears too early

You should still be able to use them. From my experience, I think what you'll find is that they have plenty of flavor, but might be lacking in sweetness. So, you can easily compensate for that.

Might not be good for plain old canned pears, but should be fine to make into a preserve or something, especially if it's a recipe that has other ingredients in it, to compensate for any shortcomings the pears might have.

Also, before you give up on them, try ripening a few in a bag with some other ripe fruit, and see what happens. They might surprise you.

o

• Posted by kayskats 7 (usda) 8 (arbor da (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 6:48

grind 'em up and make pear relish

kay

o

Or pear mincemeat, I posted a recipe on the "I'm lucky" pear thread. Lots of other flavors going on there, so if the pears aren't quite as sweet, it's still probably OK.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here