Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can you can eggplant?

Posted by kterlep 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 07 at 23:15

Hi!

Alert: My freezers are FULL!!!!

My friend is trying to pawn off his extra eggplants. :)

Something I really like is called Baba Ganooj. You grill eggplant (whole with garlic cloves stuffed in slits) for about a half hour, then scrape off the charred skin and puree them in the food processor.

I was wondering if at this point in the recipe the eggplant could be pressure canned. if so, for how long?

The other ingredients, also thrown in the food processor, are lemon juice, tahini, raw onion and some spices. Tahini is obviously not OK for pressure cooking because it's about 60% fat (it's sesame butter)...so I was hoping the eggplant could be pressure canned prior to the adding of Tahini. You could put some lemon juice in the eggplant if it would help...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can you can eggplant?

Eggplant is not recommended for canning. It "collapses" and the density is too great, like pured pumpkin.

There are recipes online, but they are not reliable.

Pickled eggplant can be processed, but not plain.

Carol

o

What is the problem with canning pureed pumpkin? Is there a food safety issue?

Every Fall I make a point of going to the church bazaar to pick up a couple of jars of canned pumpkin from our local canning legend. It makes the best pie! Much better than store bought.

o

Pumpkin is the same as eggplant. There's a density issue which makes heat penetration very difficult. Also, more recent tests have shown that the moisture content and pH for pumpkin are all over the place, making it almost impossible to come up with a consistently safe processing time. That's true for pumpkin butter as well.

Home-grown pumpkin is excellent, but the only safe options are freezing the puree or canning chunks, which can be pureed after opening.

I wouldn't want to take the risks that lady does. It sounds like she hasn't kept up with changes in canning recommendations.

Carol

o

There are a few recipes that contain eggplant for canning, such as one for antipasto from Ball. Also, Ellie Topps in the Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving has several recipes containing eggplant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here