Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Used jars, help!

Posted by growinidaho 4/5 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 18, 11 at 23:18

I was just blessed with about 10 or 12 boxes of jars. Mostly quarts. I don't use quarts...this is my 2nd yr of canning and I already have quarts and have access to more if I need them.
Problem is that 1/2 of the quarts have pickled asparagus and dills in them. Seals are good and date is '03 to '08. What should I do with them? We have a septic tank and no disposal. Should I trash them or we could bury them on our property. Compost them?
My neighbors will want the quarts, they have a family of 5 and always have company. I want to give them clean jars. What is the best/safest way to clean used jars? I don't have a dish washer.
Thanks for your help!
Sherri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Used jars, help!

I think you'll find your questions answered in this discussion a bit further down the page. Be sure to review the link provided in it to the info on disposal at NCHFP.

Cleaning is hot soapy water followed by boiling for 10 mins.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Disposing of old food discussion

o

Sherry, I'd compost the stuff, if it's pickled there's a good chance it's fine, if the asparagus was not pickled, I'd be a bit more wary, probably. Then, as Dave mentioned, wash jars in hot soapy water (I put mine in the dishwasher, and boil to sterilize.

Annie

o

Thank you Dave and Annie! Annie, I LOVE your salsa!!! I was just thinking about it. I may have to use frozen peppers. Since they are soft when you chop them then it would take more than the fresh about. That makes the amount of peppers off. Should I just use less than whats called for in the recipe? This will be my 2nd yr to can.
Thank you!
Sherri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here