Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_inmo

Recipes for homemade dips made from dehydrated infredients

ellen_inmo
11 years ago

Any of you ever gone to a craft fair, festival, etc; where a vendor is selling dried dip mixes? Around here, they are set up with dozens of those chilled and/or heated electric gadgets (electricity provided from generators) and you sample the dips with a pretzel stick. Some stands also have ice cream and soups. The vendors sell the mixes in small bags and you mix it with the dairy product yourself at home. I absolutely live these dips and go every year to stock up on them, as I eat A LOT of raw veggies with dip.

I can't help but wonder if there are recipes out there to make the same thing yourself at home. One package labeled as "Chipolte" lists dried onions, chipotle peppers, garlic, spices and parsley. No MSG's, no sugar, no salt, no fat, no preservatives, no gluten. Another one labeled "Artichoke and Spinach" contains dried artichoke, spinach, onion, cheddar cheese, whole milk, garlic, parsley, chives and spices.

I purchased from two stands this year selling practically the exact same things. I asked if they made these recipes themselves and they said no. One of these vendors said their job is to travel to these craft fairs and simply sell the product for the company. Heck of a profit I'm sure. They are always swamped with people and selling like crazy.

Are there any recipes for dehydrating that make similiar dried mixes such as these? Anyone here ever tried? While I'm all for supporting entrepreneurs and traveling vendors such as this, I also like to new things things to learn. Thanks for any input.

Comments (5)

• malna
    11 years ago

Here's a couple that I keep on hand - I make my own yogurt cheese and we go through a lot of dip in the summer.

Italian Dip Mix

3/4 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
    1/8 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
    1 teaspoon salt (optional - I don't add any)
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon onion powder
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    1 pinch ground oregano
    1/2 teaspoon dehydrated carrots (if I have them)
    1/2 teaspoon dehydrated sweet peppers (I usually put finely chopped fresh ones in)

Mexican Dip Mix

1/2 cup dried parsley
    1/3 cup dried minced onion
    1/4 cup dried chives
    1/3 cup chili powder (mild and/or hot)
    1/4 cup ground cumin
    Salt to taste (anywhere from 2 tablespoons up to 1/4 cup)

You can add smoked paprika, chipotle powder, cheddar cheese powder, etc. It's fun to experiment.

For a quick dip, I take a cup of yogurt cheese (or you can use sour cream and mayonnaise) and mix in one cup of homemade salsa. DH can polish off the whole bowl even without the chips :-)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Here are some from over on the Recipe Exchange forum here. You'll find many recipes for using all kinds of dehydrated foods on any of the many Preparedness and Survivalist forums on the web.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe Exchange forum

• ellen_inmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fantastic! I knew this forum would be the best place to start looking for these. I will be growing herbs in the winter in the greenhouse and winter projects will be learning to dehydrate and using them. But I didn't want to miss out on ingredients from produce available now for these type of mixes. I think this market for these dried mixtures is a brilliant idea. Big thanks for getting me started!

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

On a related note, my son has invited several school friends to come over for backpacking trips, and we're busy drying meals of their trip - its the same principal - dry peppers, onions, tomatoes, add to instant rice etc. For the herbs, using a lower heat - basil, cilantro, rosemary, dill, oregano.

Stuff like chili and pasta sauces,ÃÂ we go ahead and cook it up, spice it, then spread it out on the fruit leather sheets measuring one quart of chili/sauce per sheet.

For meat, its as lean as we can find, cooked, smoked, tiny cubes, then dried.

They are easily reconstituted, just add boiling water, let sit for 10 minutes, stir and reheat.
    Saves a fortune.

• ellen_inmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Absolutely fascinating!! I cannot begin to tell you how impressed I am! It's like a whole new world of food options out there. I am looking forward to spending "my next 30 years" learning all of this.

Canning and preserving has got me looking forward to being in the kitchen again. Though I've always loved cooking and trying new recipes, as I've aged, so came the battle to keep weight off. I'm not an overweight person and don't ever want to be. But oh my golly, what a battle! Having always been lower calorie/low fat diet, most my recipes were NOT. And so came the research into what the heck is in our storebought and restaurant food, I became horrified to even go into the kitchen. Years later, I can't wait to get in here!! This is the highlight of my summer.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax