Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

Creamed corn looks yucky

prairie_love
17 years ago

I made creamed corn tonight. I followed the recipe in the BBB and processed in the pressure canner for 1 hour 25 minutes. When I pulled the jars out, they have lost all yellow color and are a very unappetizing brown. In addition, the smell is quite strong. Not a bad smell, but a sweetish, corny smell.

Does anyone else do creamed corn and how do you keep it yellow? I'm not sure we will even eat this, it really looks bad.

Ann

Comments (9)

• trixietx
    17 years ago

I always do creamed corn, but I freeze it. Sorry I can't help you with canned.

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

Canned corn will often do that. I only freeze corn.

What causes corn to turn brown during processing?

Corn often turns brown during processing as a result of caramelization of sugar. The sweeter the corn at the time it is canned, the more likely it is to turn brown. The long processing time required for corn packed in quart jars also tends to darken it. Processing corn in pint jars might prevent darkening. Although canned corn that has turned brown is unattractive, it is safe to eat.

Barbara Willenberg, Nutritional Sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia.

• readinglady
    17 years ago

You'll increase the odds of producing an appealing creamed corn if you choose the right variety to can. You might want to check locally for a recommendation. The new "super-sweet" varieties don't work well for canning precisely because of their high sugar levels.

Carol

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ah, thank you all. After this I think I will be freezing my creamed corn also. But I HAD to try that new pressure canner . My husband pointed out last night that this variety is a white corn - perhaps it would have held a little color better if we had used a yellow. And the carmelization makes sense as this was exactly what it smelled like - just like a glucose solution left on a burner in the lab . CArol, I am not certain offhand if this was a super-sweet or not (although I can look it up), but it wouldn't surprise me.

I think maybe, as you all said, corn goes in the freezer from now on. Good to know this is safe though. Maybe we can disguise it with something.

Thank you.
    Ann

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Ann, I suppose you could dump it into a batch of beef vegetable soup, where the color isn't as crucial.

I also freeze corn, for precisely this reason. It was always brown and "icky".

Annie

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

The corn has oxidized, hence the brown color. If it were to be canned, ascorbic acid could have been used to help keep it normal color. If you wanted a bit more yellow, tumeric can also be added in a small amount. Here, I found a big gallon bag of cut corn in my freezer that I had forgotten, it was dated 2000 and it was still a nice light color. I had forgotten why it was still in the freezer until I tasted it again. VERY SWEET, way to sweet to be corn. In fact, its so sweet there was virtually no corn taste, just a sugary sweet taste. I had grown some of the Sh2 variety that time and will never grow it again, due to the extreme sweeteness. With the rest of the bag, I plan to mix some with my recent yelow, less sweet corn when its cooked, in hopes it will dilute the extra sugar taste. Think of it as eating soldified corn syrup.. UGH! Creamed corn does not can well unless the anti-oxident is used.

• julsie
    17 years ago

I've used creamed corn in cornbread and casserole recipes. You might look around for different recipes that call for creamed corn. By the time you bake it, you'll probably still see the color difference, but it shouldn't be so unappetizing.

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Annie and Julsie, thanks for the suggestions on how to use the corn. I agree, hiding it in soup or casseroles or bread will help a lot. Good to know it's still usable as this was my favorite variety of the three I grow. Next year I'll know to experiment with my least fave!

Ann

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Make it into a corn chowder, by adding some milk and a little thickener (dried potato flakes).

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor