Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creamed corn looks yucky

Posted by prairie_love z3/4 ND (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 28, 06 at 23:48

I made creamed corn tonight. I followed the recipe in the BBB and processed in the pressure canner for 1 hour 25 minutes. When I pulled the jars out, they have lost all yellow color and are a very unappetizing brown. In addition, the smell is quite strong. Not a bad smell, but a sweetish, corny smell.

Does anyone else do creamed corn and how do you keep it yellow? I'm not sure we will even eat this, it really looks bad.

Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creamed corn looks yucky

I always do creamed corn, but I freeze it. Sorry I can't help you with canned.

o

Canned corn will often do that. I only freeze corn.

What causes corn to turn brown during processing?

Corn often turns brown during processing as a result of caramelization of sugar. The sweeter the corn at the time it is canned, the more likely it is to turn brown. The long processing time required for corn packed in quart jars also tends to darken it. Processing corn in pint jars might prevent darkening. Although canned corn that has turned brown is unattractive, it is safe to eat.

Barbara Willenberg, Nutritional Sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia.

o

You'll increase the odds of producing an appealing creamed corn if you choose the right variety to can. You might want to check locally for a recommendation. The new "super-sweet" varieties don't work well for canning precisely because of their high sugar levels.

Carol

o

Ah, thank you all. After this I think I will be freezing my creamed corn also. But I HAD to try that new pressure canner . My husband pointed out last night that this variety is a white corn - perhaps it would have held a little color better if we had used a yellow. And the carmelization makes sense as this was exactly what it smelled like - just like a glucose solution left on a burner in the lab . CArol, I am not certain offhand if this was a super-sweet or not (although I can look it up), but it wouldn't surprise me.

I think maybe, as you all said, corn goes in the freezer from now on. Good to know this is safe though. Maybe we can disguise it with something.

Thank you.
Ann

o

Ann, I suppose you could dump it into a batch of beef vegetable soup, where the color isn't as crucial.

I also freeze corn, for precisely this reason. It was always brown and "icky".

Annie

o

The corn has oxidized, hence the brown color. If it were to be canned, ascorbic acid could have been used to help keep it normal color. If you wanted a bit more yellow, tumeric can also be added in a small amount. Here, I found a big gallon bag of cut corn in my freezer that I had forgotten, it was dated 2000 and it was still a nice light color. I had forgotten why it was still in the freezer until I tasted it again. VERY SWEET, way to sweet to be corn. In fact, its so sweet there was virtually no corn taste, just a sugary sweet taste. I had grown some of the Sh2 variety that time and will never grow it again, due to the extreme sweeteness. With the rest of the bag, I plan to mix some with my recent yelow, less sweet corn when its cooked, in hopes it will dilute the extra sugar taste. Think of it as eating soldified corn syrup.. UGH! Creamed corn does not can well unless the anti-oxident is used.

o

I've used creamed corn in cornbread and casserole recipes. You might look around for different recipes that call for creamed corn. By the time you bake it, you'll probably still see the color difference, but it shouldn't be so unappetizing.

o

Annie and Julsie, thanks for the suggestions on how to use the corn. I agree, hiding it in soup or casseroles or bread will help a lot. Good to know it's still usable as this was my favorite variety of the three I grow. Next year I'll know to experiment with my least fave!

Ann

o

Make it into a corn chowder, by adding some milk and a little thickener (dried potato flakes).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here