Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christina818

Canned Zucchini Pineapple

Christina818
10 years ago

Someone I am acquainted with posted this on her blog. Zucchini - Pineapple it is a mixture of shredded zucchini, pineapple, lemon juice and sugar. She made the comment that it is like a preserve because of the sugar but taste like crushed pineapple. She said it could be used in dishes like cakes, sweet and sour or other recipes that call for crushed pineapple. Really zucchini pineapple is it possible? Has anyone made this before? Is it good?
~Tina

This post was edited by Christina818 on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 1:00

Comments (21)

• Christina818
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the above post. I was just looking at the book So easy to preserve that I got at the library. I can't wait to try this. If it is any good this will be a great way to use some of my zucchini.

The recipe from "So Easy to Preserve" page 47.

Zucchini - Pineapple

4 quarts peeled shredded or 1/2" cubed zucchini, 1 1/2 cups bottled lemon juice, 3 cups sugar and 46 ounces pineapple juice. Mix all ingredients in large sauce pan and bring to boil. Simmer 20 minutes. Fill hot jars with hot mixture and cooking liquid leaving 1/2" headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims. Adjust lids. Process in boiling water bath. Half pints or pints 15 minutes.

I included the recipe in case anybody wanted it.
    ~Tina

This post was edited by Christina818 on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 1:04

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I've always wondered what you would use that for. They left it out of the newest USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning (edited by Linda Ziedrich). I've been meaning to buy a copy to replace the old files I downloaded. It's about half the price of So Easy to Preserve (and those recipes are available on NCHFP site anyway).

I did try making some Zucchini (Marrow) Preserves from Joy of Jams, but note that you will have to start with 4-5 lbs of squash to get the 2.5lbs prepped. I only started with 2.5 lbs and got 1 pint which I stuck in the fridge since I am a little unsure of the pH (Linda said she hadn't gotten it tested, and hadn't made it since she wrote the book, but the next time she gets a big zucchini she'll make it again and test it with her meter - if I make it again I'll bring a sample to a lab to test).

Ball Complete has a Zucchini Marmalade that uses 2 lemons and 2 oranges, Small Batch Preserving also has one that doesn't use that much zucchini though. There is always Zucchini Relish (from Ball) if you want to use up a lot. I can provide another link to an extension site that has one (may be the same recipe, as I think Linda Lou's Zucchini Relish is if you want to search this forum).

I wonder how that Zucchini Pineapple would be in an upside down cake or carrot cake?

Here is a link that might be useful: New USDA Guide to Home Canning

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Since zucchini is so bland, it will take on the flavor of whatever you put with it.

I've thought about several times, but didn't want to waste the pineapple if I didn't like it.

• Christina818
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ajsmama I just made some zucchini relish on Sunday. I put up 14 1/2 pints. I know it sounds like a lot. I have 6 children and 1 granddaughter. My oldest sons are living on their own with their spouses (who don't can) and I always like to make a little extra for them. That and I am still having a hard time down sizing my cooking. I always cook like I am feeding an army!
    myfamilysfarm I have so much zucchini this year. I am trying to figure out some creative ways to use it. I am so surprised at how much we are getting. This year half of our garden is heirloom organic seeds. We found that the things we usually don't have problems growing were hard to get started with the heirlooms. We planted the zucchini 3 times before it took. Boy do we have a mess of them now. We have 6 plants and we are getting 6 to 8 zucchini a day. Yep zucchini every night with dinner. hehe. The lady that I mentioned that blogged about this said it is really good and that she had some on top of ice cream. Ice cream! I think I am going to try it. Maybe just a half a batch to see if I like it. I let you know what I think of it.
    ~Tina

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

This year, around here, people are having trouble with their zucchini and yellow squash plants, not producing like normal or plants dying.

I've seen recipes (old books) for mock pineapple using zucchini and pineapple juice. Basically chunks soaked in pineapple juice and processed. we like pineapple and buy fresh when cheap and freeze it.

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

The zucchini pineapple is good. One thing I found, though, it was not as strong in flavor as pineapple, so I added some pineapple extract to it. I have used in things and no one knew the difference.
    I also canned my own pineapple. So much better than the canned stuff from the store. You can taste the metal flavor in the store canned stuff.

Zucchini candy is good, too, if you have a dehydrator. It is full of sugar, but the kids love it.

There is a salsa recipe that also has some zucchini in it. Lots of ways to preserve zucchini.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Is pineapple juice cheaper than canned pineapple? Actually, we don't use a lot of pineapple either. Or relish. I'll have to try that pint of zucchini preserves over vanilla ice cream, or buy some bagels and have it with cream cheese.

• Christina818
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We planted our spaghetti squash, zucchini squash and acorn squash all heirloom organic seeds at the same time. The spaghetti squash took off right from the start. We planted both the zucchini and acorn 3 times. Acorn never came up and the zucchini did in abundance! We also planted some heirloom pole beans 4 times before it finally started to grow. It is growing slow! We are hoping we will get a harvest to put up.
    Linda thanks for the tip on using pineapple extract. How much do you use? I plan on using this for baking. When I find pineapple on sale I am going to can some. I agree canned pineapple does taste like metal. Yuck!
    I don't know that the juice is cheaper then the canned pineapple. I think that the volume is more for less. Then add in the other ingredient for the zucchini - pineapple recipe and I would think the mock pineapple would be a lot cheaper. I am thinking of using it in baked goods. I don't think I would eat it out of the jar just like that, but who know it might be good enough for that also.
    I love trying new thing! The lady that blogged about this said it made 8 pints. I am going to take my mom tomorrow to have our pressure canners tested and I think I will take all the ingredients to make this with me to make with her.
    ~Tina

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

If you like pineapple then zucchini-pineapple pie is great. So are zucchini pickles, stuffed (frozen zucchin).

Be sure to check out the thread here about 101 things to do with zucchini.

Dave

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I bought a 'new' canner at an auction sunday, Presto 23 qt for $75. It looked like it might have been used 2-3x, came with book even. First thing I did was to go buy the 3piece weight from Ace. Had to buy $1 more in store than online, but didn't want to fight with them 'researching' their website. So happy, now have 2 big canners and 2 smaller canners.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I never did find a recipe for mock apple pie using zucchini. But we don't have a lot of it this year - the SB and SVB are doing a number on it. Yellow squash, we have! And I planted 3 more thinking the original 5 were going to bite the dust. The 2nd crop of zukes hasn't germinated yet and may not at this point.

Nothing is producing like last year, and last year we had a drought!

• Christina818
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave I have seen that thread a lot of good recipes on there. I clipped a bunch of them. I don't recall seeing anything about zucchini - pineapple. I must have missed it. The pie sound yummy. Is the recipe for it on the other thread? Would love to try it!
    Great find myfamilysfarm! I use a 23qt. Presto. My parents got it at a garage sale a few years ago for $10! I replaced the gauge and the gasket. At that time I didn't know anything about the weights. I just got mine this past week end. I am going to get the dial checked tomorrow just because I am curious to see if it is off. That and my parents have had theirs new since the 70's and have never had it tested!
    ~Tina

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I had to fight to get this one. Never thought I'd spend that much, but I did and am very happy with it. the rest of them probably didn't total that much. You can't afford to buy used jars, so many people wanting them. Cheaper to buy new.

I'd like to see the mock apple zucchini recipe also

You know you can substitute yellow squash for zucchini.

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Boy, I wish I could send some zucchini your way. We're drowning in it. So far this is looking like a stellar year for us.

For those Costco members, it's a good place to purchase prepared fresh pineapple perfect for canning at a very good price. I'll plan for that later in the year.

I have made pineapple (not zucchini version) preserves but while good, they were overwhelmingly sweet, even with a good measure of lemon.

Carol

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Carol, what do you mean prepared fresh pineapple?

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

I made the zucchini pineapple 2 years ago. DD and DH loved it and I couldn't keep their paws out of it as I was trying to get it in the canner. But something happened in the canner. It got softer and lost some flavor. Once canned DD and DH won't touch it. I still have 5 or 6 pints left. I pur�e it and make pi�a colada muffins.

Just my experience.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Carol, what do you mean prepared fresh pineapple?

Sam's Club, and I assume Costco too, sell whole fresh pineapples in season that have already been machine topped, cored and peeled for you. You can get them sliced or unsliced, with juice or without. At Sam's they come packaged in clear plastic so it is easy to pick the best.

They just need a bit of trimming to be ready to do whatever with.

Tina - I don't recall if the Pineapple-Zucchini pie recipe is there or not but you don't really need a recipe. It is just your usual cooked pineapple pie filling with 2 cups shredded zucchini added to it while cooking the filling. Fills a standard deep dish pie plate. Double crust.

Dave

• Christina818
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave. I thought maybe you used the canned Zucchini - Pineapple. I suppose I could just use a jar of the zucchini - pineapple and thicken it up like a pie filling. Thanks for the idea. I am making the Zucchini - Pineapple tonight.
    ~Tina

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I don't remember seeing the prepared pineapple at my Sams, I'll have to look closer.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Oh, I've seen those in stores - can't think of where - but they sell them in clear plastic quart deli containers.

• Christina818
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I made the zucchini - pineapple. It turned out great! The recipe filled 8 half pints and 4 pints with a little left over. My husband took the leftovers and put it in the freezer to cool down so he could taste it. He forgot he put it in there until it was almost frozen. He loved it and so did the kiddos! The zucchini really does take on the taste of the pineapple. This is going to be great in baked goods!
    Tina