Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freeze Bok Choy?

Posted by jimster z7a MA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 07 at 0:03

Have you frozen bok choy? I'm sure the leaves would be fine after freezing, just as spinach is. I wonder if freezing would make the stalks unappetizingly mushy. Just planning ahead in case of a surplus.

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freeze Bok Choy?

Yes, the stalks are like celery and the cell walls do break down, so it will soften. Its one of those vegetables that do not freeze well, and even for that, would also need a quick blanch to help maintain its very mild flavor.

o

Oh darn, I was hoping this one would have a happy answer, since I froze some too. I just sealed it into food saver bags. I'll probably stir fry it anyway this winter - DH likes soggy veggies. :)

o

I would expect some softening. Bok choy normally softens somewhat in cooking. I just would not like it to soften to the point there is no longer any crispness at all. Kind of difficult to pin that down exactly. Will it result in a product which won't be of the consistency to be expected in a stir fried bok choy?

Maybe a better solution is to turn all surplus bok choy into kim chee.

Jim

o

Adding it at the end of the cooking might help a little, if its thawed first. I was hoping that snow peas would hold up to freezing, but they don't either, so I only use fresh. Same with bean sprouts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here