Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato mistake, please help.

Posted by harvestingfilth 6-6B (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 11 at 0:19

I just canned 7 pints of crushed tomatoes. I have no recollection of whether I put the citric acid in the last 3 jars, (ugh). Can I safely refrigerate the batch and use them over a period of time (if so, how long?). Or would I have to freeze them?

Or should I open them all and re-process with new citric acid? Will they be edible if they end up with double the acid, or will they be too sour to eat?

What would you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato mistake, please help.

You can re-process if it's within 24 hours or you can refrigerate. I have no idea how long, but in a sealed jar, it should be a while. Freezing, obviously, assures optimal longevity.

There will be some change in flavor from the acid, though it's hard to say how great the change will be. However, you could add citric acid and taste tomatoes from one jar before processing. If the flavor change is really pronounced you may prefer to skip it or reserve those jars for use in a highly flavored soup or stew where it's less noticeable.

Carol

o

Thanks so much Carol. Do you think I can just open them, add the acid, put new lids on and bwb them? Or do I have to dump the contents into my pot and reheat, then start over?

If it's too much work, I think I am leaning toward dumping into freezer bags.

The sad thing is that I know I did 4 jars right, and most likely did the rest--I just cannot recall whether I did it or not. Lesson learned: Don't do things in the middle of the night when you're too tired. :(

Carrie

o

Reprocessing means back into the pot and reheat, clean jars and new lids. Not just opening the jars. They have to be hot when going into the canner.

Personally I'd just freeze them. Better taste and quality that way.

Dave

o

I would freeze them. I have definitely noticed the citric acid in my canned tomatoes so adding more citric acid to jars that might already have it would be too much, I think. This would also be the quickest, easiest way to deal with the problem. Good luck.

o

Thank you very much. I've been waiting for replies! I will be freezing it. I've spent too much effort already to then find out I have sour tomato sauce in February. That would be too depressing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here