Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

HUGE dehydrator...

Konrad___far_north
11 years ago

The commercial type from Cabelas,..80 or 160 liters, do you have one, do you like it?

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Is this the one you mean?

Honestly, I don't think I could justify that high cost even though we do a great deal of dehydrating. Plus then you have to buy the extra racks as the 160 only comes with 1 rack.

1600 watts would be nice but we are more than happy with 1000 watts for less than 1/2 that price.

Another consideration is would you be doing enough of the same food all at one time to fill it and make it worth running expense? Mixing foods often leads to off flavors.

Just something to consider.

Dave

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Dave!
    I can't see them selling a unit with only one rack?
    They make two models, as I see, the 80 liter comes with 12 racks, the 160 liter with 24 racks. I'm after the 160 L unit.
    Got tons of apples to come, I think the best bang for your bucks in a commercial type.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I was just going by the note on the listing:

Item note: The manual may state that both the 80-liter and 160-liter dehydrators come with three notched racks � this is incorrect. The 160-liter model includes just one notched rack. The 80-liter models comes with three. This is a factory error in the manual. Only one notched rack is required for either size.

Dave

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

For about half that, you can get an Excaliber 9 tray drier, and in practical terms, you can dry an awful lot of apples with that thing - for each batch, I can take about 4/5's of bushel, run them through the corer/slicer, and that will fill it up nicely.

Slicing and coring takes the better part of an hour, just to fill it, then 24 hours to dry it.

I've used mine now for 15 years, running 30-odd loads of food a year, and it works just fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Excaliber 9 tray drier.

• rockiecarol
    11 years ago

I have one. I typically work in large batches, so this one works great. Be sure to call Cabela's to question about the rack. They wouldn't sell a dehydrater with only one rack. At least not in my experience...

• thatcompostguy
    11 years ago

You could always build a solar powered dehydrator. Lots of ideas out there. Just do a search for them. They're also huge. Outhouse size. Neat concept.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all!
    Some good advise!
    Since I need one right now I went with the smaller version because the large 80 and 160 liter they don't stock in Canada.
    Got it on sale, 10 tray, 21"tall, 17.5" wide, 19.5" deep for $200.00 Canadian. 1591sq. in. capacity.
    Figured I need at least two sizes anyway to run them full and efficient.

Here is a link that might be useful: dehydrator