Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kayrae2

apple pie filling

kayrae2
14 years ago

I have a question concerning ClearJel, and canning pie filling. A thread from digdirt had a link to NCHFP with a recipe. I would like to do this with my apples but I'm having difficulties finding ClearJel in Canada. I found some other brand through a wholesale company called cooking Clearjel-Nacan (is the brand name or colflo67). Is this the same thing?

Here's the website: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_02/can_pie/apple_filling.html

Comments (19)

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

We need the link to the product instead of the recipe.

• malna
    14 years ago

I found Golda's Kitchen in Canada selling Clear Jel (they were recommended as a source by Bernardin)

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian Source for Clear Jel

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

From what I can find via Google, National Starch in Ontario (Nacan) makes the basic starch that goes into Clear Jel (the brand name) and Nacan markets it under the names Clearjel Starch and Coloflo. But you can't buy it directly from National Starch. The link below is to a Canadian supplier of it.

Hope this helps.

Dave

PS: Keep in mind that you can always can your pie fillings without ANY thickener added and then add your thickener of choice to it at pie preparation time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Golda's Kitchenware for Canadians

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Malna beat me too it. :)

• kayrae2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. The link I put on was in reference to digdirt's past thread for a safe product to can. Ontario is very east coast to me, as I live on the west coast, so shipping is as bad as ordering from the states. A wholesale company here has the ones I mentioned before, I needed to know if they were one and the same just different packaging. I will attempt to go through them, once I know if they are the same.
    Thanks for digging further into this Dave, just wanting to use a safe product. I realize I can can without the thickener, but sometimes time is of the essence when making a pie; with it already canned I can make a pie in less than ten minutes including rolling out the dough! Our kids with grandkids are known to drop in with only a few minutes notice so I win lots of "your amazing" hugs! I've got to keep that up!!

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

A wholesale company here has the ones I mentioned before, I needed to know if they were one and the same just different packaging. I will attempt to go through them, once I know if they are the same.

Then as I said above, as far as anyone can tell from the info available on the Nacan website, yes they are the same thing, just marketed in Canada under different brand names. But your local supplier should be able to tell you if it is or not.

Dave

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

That MAY be the name used in Canada. The Clear Jel product is a registered trademark of the NATIONAL STARCH COMPANY. They have a Canadian facory too, hence the different name NA (National) and CAN (Canadian). Yes its a cooking type starch. There is also an instant version that needs no cooking, and is the primary ingredient in most every instant pudding sold today. Even for that, to avoid trademark issues, they call it 'modified food starch', which could be made by several company's elsewhere. The starch remains stable in high acid canning. Its not recommened to use regular corn starch or any other thickener in home canning. If you cant get it there, at National, Try Kitchen Krafts as they do ship to Canada.

• randaloulton
    9 years ago

Hi there, does anyone know of sources for Clear Jel in Canada. I found one on amazon.ca, but that is actually Golda's Kitchen and I will never ever buy from them again.

Over the years, I ignored warnings from other customers about Golda's Kitchen being nasty, and was a loyal customer, but then finally Golda's turned on me and I had the most terrible, vicious customer service experience of my life with Golda's while trying to purchase a $130 mixing bowl. Never again will they get a red cent from me. The previous customers were right, it's just a matter of time with Golda's Kitchen before they will attack you. So I always pass on now the warning that others had given me before, and wish I had paid attention to.

So if anyone knows of another source for Clear Jel on this side of the border, I'm looking. If I can't find, I'll order from the States.

• Addison1993
    9 years ago

I need the link to the product.

-----------------------------------------------------
    [url=http://www.ourcase.co.uk][color=#393333]mobile phone accessory[/color][/url]âÂÂ[url=http://www.ourcase.co.uk/category-samsung-galaxy-s5-accessories-22.html][color=#393333]samsung galaxy s5 case[/color][/url]

This post was edited by Addison1993 on Sun, Dec 14, 14 at 7:38

• randaloulton
    9 years ago

@Addison, I'm still looking for it. In Canada, it's made by something now called ingredion.ca, but they referred me to http://www.quadraingredients.com as being who distributes for them, but quadra says they don't sell directly to consumers, they are a bulk seller in flats only or something like that.

Which I called them assuming they would be, their being a distributor and all, my purpose was to ask, "who do you sell to that sells to consumers so I can go and buy it from them". But I don't know what was less, the ability of the girl on the other end of the phone to speak either official Canadian language, or, her interest in exerting herself one iota and helping someone, she was so disinterested, and I didn't need to speak whatever language she could actually speak to get that part!

So I'm at an impasse currently, but only currently, I am pretty tenacious.

This post was edited by RandalOulton on Thu, Dec 11, 14 at 10:58

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

So I'm at an impasse currently

No need for an impasse. The simple solution, one which many of us use since we don't care for the end result when Clear Jel is used, is to can the pie filling recipe without it (or any other thickener). Then you add the thickener of choice (corn starch, tapioca, flour, etc.) at pie prep time. Results in a much better end product IMO.

Two of the commonly reported problems with Clear Jel are the flavor change and the overly hard set when the recommended amount is used. So many choose to reduce the amount called for by as much as half or to simply not use it. You'll find many previous discussions here about this.

That way you don't have to worry about finding a supplier. :)

Dave

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

Randal--Have you looked for Clear Jel in some natural food stores? That's where I've purchased it. Also, just saw some for sale at an Amish bakery so you mighty check with some bakeries to see if they use it and would sell you some.

• randaloulton
    9 years ago

ci_lantro, at natural food stores in Canada or in the states?

• Kale
    8 years ago

Gourmet Warehouse has it, cheap. 1340 East Hastings, open 7 days a week 10-6 (today is July 1, a stat holiday, so it is open 10-5). The search is over!

I am looking forward to using starch in place of pectin myself; I notice that the Bernardin pie filling recipes call for a lot less sugar than their jam recipes and anyway I am looking for something to go on my yoghurt, not my toast.

• randaloulton
    8 years ago

Did you happen to notice the price per lb or 500 g, kale, and what did they have it labelled as?

• Kale
    8 years ago

A 350 g bag of "Cooking Clear Jel" (not Instant Clear Jel) is $4.99, no tax. I found it worked very well and very fast, so you can't turn your back on it; nor would I increase the amount used.

• Kale
    8 years ago

They can set aside a bag for you if you are making a special trip. They told me that. It's a popular item.

• randaloulton
    8 years ago

Thanks Kale! That's great to know for sure. And yes, it thickens incredibly incredibly fast I have found the same thing: there is not time to even blink and you can't turn your back on it. The USDA directions say " Combine sugar, Clear Jel®, and cinnamon in a large kettle with water and apple
    juice. If desired, food coloring and nutmeg may be
    added. Stir and cook on medium high heat until
    mixture thickens and begins to bubble." ( http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/can_pie/apple_filling.html ) I have found that the "until mixture thickens" part happens about 5 seconds after the clear jel goes in lol.

• Kale
    8 years ago

My experience too. Glad to see you found something that works! :)