Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Build a root cellar into the side of a hill

Posted by konrad___far_north 3 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 26, 09 at 1:03

I might put one in but high cost might steer me away.
A easy way would be a prefabricated concrete tank with door and bottom open, then set it in.
Or, pour concrete on site, wall only and use heavy timber for roof.
Can you please share you experience with pictures and ideas, this would be greatly appreciated.

Konrad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Build a root cellar into the side of a hill

There are countless designs. Around here, when they pulled out the narrow gauge railroad, there were railroad ties galore, and a lot of folks make their cellars out of those. We have others made of stacked sandstone. My own is made on the north side of the house with standard 2 x 6 framing, then 8" thick styrofoam insulation all around, concrete floor. I keep a 12 watt Florissant light bulb turned on when the outside temps get below 10F, just as a precaution, because there is a lot of food in there that I really hope doesn't freeze.....

o

Please check out the numerous posts about ROOT CELLARS

Here is a link that might be useful: Root celler search results

o

Wish I had a nice hill I think the cost could be kept pretty low excavating would probly be the biggest cost

I though of putting one strait down into the ground but the water table is very high here so that would be a problem

o

There was a good discussion sometime past on the Farm Life forum here about using a 1000 gal concrete septic tank set on end. Folks had the company that makes septic tanks pour it without the dividing partition normally in them and it cost them about $1000 total. Might be worth checking out that discussion.

Dave

o

Thank you so much all of you!

Dave, I like the septic tank idea, I'm going to see if something like this is around or a water cistern.

Konrad

o

I started this year, [will go with septic tank] perhaps next year it will be finished.
So far I build a 4 foot tall wall, the tank goes on top, the concrete forms
I build out of 5/8" OSB boards.

Rebar configuration...bent around the corners, tied into the footing, 14x14" and has two double rows of rebars.
Aug. 010

Looking from the front
Aug. 010

Pouring Concrete
Aug. 26, 010

Aug. 26, 010

o

The tank was put on, the idea of leaving the inside form on
I scraped, figured I need every inch of space in there and I could
use those threaded rods protruding the wall to hold the upper forms up
for the mortar fill.

Sept. 25, 2010

Turning over the tank..inside view

Sept. 25, 2010

Sept. 25, 2010

Sept. 25, 2010

o

Sept. 25, 2010

o

Wow! I am jealous!
You shouldn't having any trouble storing wht you need in there. And it can double as a hideout, fort for kids, or any other number of creative ideas. Very cool.
Keep posting!

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here