Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janisj_gw

Rotel-like Recipe

janisj
11 years ago

Good evening! I'd love to try a rotel-like recipe. I've tried the search engine, but it isn't the most productive :) Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (21)

• malna
    11 years ago

Canned Rotel-Type Tomatoes and Hot peppers

5 lbs. tomatoes peeled (optional) and coarsely chopped but do not drain as you need the liquid.
    2 lbs. coarsely chopped hot peppers (we use jalapenos and Hungarian hot wax and only remove the stem)
    1 large onion, coarsely chopped (optional)
    1 cup 5% vinegar
    2 tsp. canning salt (optional)
    1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in large non-reactive pan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 mins. Taste and adjust season as needed. Fill jars leaving 1/2" headspace and process in BWB for 15 mins. Yield 4-6 pints.

Options:
    peeling the tomatoes is optional
    removing the pepper seeds is optional
    1 T sugar is optional and we use it
    onions are optional
    When we make it we sub 1/2 cup bottled lime juice for 1/2 cup of the vinegar and we use cider vinegar rather than white but either is ok.

• Linda_Lou
    11 years ago

I would not say this is safe since you are adding all those hot peppers and onions. Even the plain tomatoes would take 2 T. vinegar per pint. That would not leave much acid added for 2 lb. peppers and a large onion. Not in a BWB canner. What is the source of this recipe ?
    So, 12 T. vinegar would be 2/3 of a cup, just for the tomatoes alone.

• malna
    11 years ago

From digdirt based on the NCHFP recipe for Chile Salsa (Hot Tomato-Pepper Sauce). It's in the Greatest Hits thread.

Sorry - I didn't note the source in my file, just the recipe.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Yep that is exactly what it is except that it calls for less onions and/or makes them optional than the NCHFP recipe calls for. Safe and approved and even more acidic than the original.

NCHFP recipe

Chile Salsa (Hot Tomato-Pepper Sauce)

5 lbs tomatoes (as purchased)
    2 lbs chile peppers (as purchased)
    1 lb onions (as purchased)
    1 cup vinegar (5 percent)
    3 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    Yield: 6 to 8 pints

Dave

• ellen_inmo
    11 years ago

What is meant by "as purchased"?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

As they come from the store. Before peeling, chopping, or whatever.

• canfan
    11 years ago

"As purchased" means that you weigh the produce before you skin, dice or chop them for the recipe you are preparing.

• ellen_inmo
    11 years ago

Gotcha thanks!

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I'm glad to see this as I was thinking of doing something similar but had missed saving the previous thread. Thanks for clarifying the source and to Dave for checking this out.

Our peppers and tomatoes promise to be extra-good this year. After two dismal summers it will be nice to actually have some to can.

Carol

• janisj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Perfect! We've also had a great year with our tomatoes and peppers. So far, I've canned 72 pints of Annie's salsa, so this recipe is our next adventure. I'm also looking forward to making enchilada sauce and taco sauce. And maybe some crushed tomatoes and some sauce. I guess it will depend on how my tomatoes hold out!

Thanks so much for sharing!

• ellen_inmo
    11 years ago

Janisj, for a good taco sauce/enchilada sauce try the Ball Blue Book Taco Sauce. It's made out of commercial tomato paste, so you can can it any time of year. It's a perfect sauce for my families taste and kid approved!! Some may argue cost vs purchasing commercial Mexican sauces. But if you want to know exactly what's in your food, for the most part, and regulate sodium and preservatives then I'm all for making anything and everything my own. I'm making these Ro-Tel like tomatoes today myself. Something I don't normally buy, because Im tired of "buying things". I'll be glad to have my own Ro-tels to cook with again!

• Linda_Lou
    11 years ago

Ok, I apologize. It really did not look like enough acid for all those peppers to me... I am sorry if I mispoke.

• janisj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the taco sauce recipe, Ellen_inmo. I'm definately going to try it this year. My only concern is creating a sauce that is hot enough for my hubby but mild enough for the kiddos :)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

My only concern is creating a sauce that is hot enough for my hubby but mild enough for the kiddos :)

In the same jar? Not possible. Just spice up hubby's after opening with some hot pepper sauce or chili powder.

Dave

• janisj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I canned a batch of Chile Salsa tonight, and it was exactly what we were looking for! Thanks so much for your assistance.

• ellen_inmo
    11 years ago

I ended up with 11 half pints when I made this the other day. I was so proud of them, I just sat there staring at them. Anyone else marvel over the colored jars?! I go down to my storage room, take in the colors, and the pride. I will never buy Ro-Tels again. I think I like Chile Salsa better than regular salsa.

• cannond
    11 years ago

This question is for anyone who has made this recipe. Dave? Does it actually taste like Rotel, or is it more vinegary?

Deborah

• ellen_inmo
    11 years ago

Im eating them right now! Not vinegary whatsoever. I love this for a canned tomato/pepper topping in the winter time, out of one jar. The peppers definitely lose their heat, this becomes mild enough for even children to eat. I am making a third batch of this and want to use Haberneros (if I can find any) to see if they will add more heat.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Tastes like Rotels with a bit of lime because as I said above "When we make it we sub 1/2 cup bottled lime juice for 1/2 cup of the vinegar and we use cider vinegar rather than white but either is ok."

Never made it with white vinegar. You can use 1/2 c vinegar and 1/2 c bottled lemon juice instead of lime if you prefer but the lime juice goes with so many things we prefer it. We sub lime juice in our salsa too.

Dave

• cannond
    11 years ago

Ellen, Dave, Thanks! I'll be making this all weekend, using some lime juice per Dave's suggestion.

Actally, I'll be making it IF I can keep the racoons from consuming all my ripe tomatoes. I caught them red-handed Sunday moring, 6:00 a.m. Where is my dog when I need him?
    Deborah

• afeisty1
    8 years ago

I made two batches of this yesterday. Although it is a tad too hot for our liking, it is outstanding and tastes just like a can of Rotel. I do hope the heat dissipates a bit.

I used mostly Poblanos, with jalapenos and Serrano peppers, removed seeds as much as possible. Thanks Dave, for a great recipe!