Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garlic florets

Posted by ljpother 3a (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 4, 10 at 1:14

Some of my garlic has florets. They resemble flowers but are tiny garlic cloves. Last year I didn't use them because they were a pain to peel. This year I'm separating the individual cloves before they dry out. Most of the outer coating comes off and I have ready to use garlic cloves about half the size of a pea.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garlic florets

This sounds interesting - I'm not sure I've ever seen this in any garlic from my garden. However, if I were to use them, perhaps it would be easier to put them into a blender, adding a good olive oil for mixing, whir until well blended and freeze in small size ice cube trays.

This has proven to be one of the best ideas for adding quick garlic and oil to foods - without having to go to the trouble of peeling garlic, and adding oil to special dishes - such as spaghetti sauce, pasta type sauces calling for garlic and oil, and sauteing meats - or adding to stir fries.

This is the way I use up all of my end of season garlic that would otherwise dry up on the braid.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

o

Perhaps you have Egyptian walking onions instead of garlic? They make a floret on the top of the stalk. I grow garlic and have not seen florets on them - the flowers turn to seeds. But then, I only have 3 varieties and maybe yours is a different one, but I could not find a reference to them in any of my vegetable gardening books.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Egyptian Walking Onion Photo / Description

o

Instead of spending time trying to shell all the little pea sized bulblets/seeds....

This fall, plant out your little pea sized seeds from the floret into your garden. Next fall you will have cloves that vary in size from a dime to a quarter in diameter. Then, next fall once more plant them in the garden and the following year you will have beautiful full sized bulbs. This is a great way to multiply your collection of garlic.

If you have any problems with disease with your garlic bulbs...using the seed from the flower ball on the scape will enable you to start with pure clean disease free garlic once more.

o

If you decide to peel them put them in the microwave for 5-10 seconds and the skin will come off much easier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here