Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spyfferoni

raw pack peaches---adding sugar to jar.

spyfferoni
12 years ago

My Mom and Grandma always raw packed their peaches and added sugar and then water to the jar, rather than pouring in a syrup. This seems easier to me, and they always tasted great. I don't have instructions for this method though. My Mom can't remember how much sugar she added and my grandma passed away a few years ago. This is my first time canning peaches. This is the first year we've gotten a harvest off of our peach trees. I have frozen some, made 4 batches of jam, an now I want some plain canned peaches. Luckily I planted two varieties so they weren't all ripe at once! Thanks!

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

It is a shortcut that isn't recommended for quality, not safety, reasons. I linked the approved method of canning peaches below and it includes a link to the various sugar syrup instructions.

How much sugar you use is your choice however the less sugar that more the fruit will darken and decline in appearance and shelf storage quality.

Also note that raw pack leads to more floating peaches than hot pack will.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - How to can peaches

• spyfferoni
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the link. I used the recipe on that website to process tomatoes and zucchini. It was a great way to use up zucchini and works great as a soup base. I have a ball blue book and I've read over the "proper" way to can peaches. I guess I'm just looking for a short-cut. LOL. I grew up on the "lower quality" raw pack peaches and I thought they were pretty tasty.

Tyffanie

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Since it isn't a safety consideration, if you want to can them that way go ahead. You might want to do a few trial jars following the proportions for syrup provided in Ball or on the NCHFP site.

You might also keep in mind that depending upon the years when your grandmother started canning, syrups used to be heavier than they are now. In other words, heavy, medium and light syrups all used to have more sugar than the current versions. I'm guessing that since your grandmother's peaches retained their quality to your family's satisfaction that she went heavier on the sugar end. More sugar contributes to retention of color and texture.

Carol

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

I'd never heard of adding sugar dry to fruit, but I stumbled across a site just yesterday showing canning them in that way. I have to say, the website (that I couldn't name without looking again to see if I could find it) was well written (grammer etc), well illustrated. The sugar was added when the jars were partially filled, finished with the remaining peaches to fill the jar. Then, I got to the part where processing was described and found something along the lines of (from memory) 'most books will tell you an amount of minutes of about 20-25 but that's more than is needed. Take the jars out of BWB and check, when there is about a space of an inch at the bottom of jar between peaches and the bottom, they are done and you can leave them out, it's usually about 10 min for pts.'

That's where I gasped, closed the site.....:( It didn't go into a saved list.

• spyfferoni
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I didn't want to experiment so I just made a light syrup. My 7 yr old daughter packed the jars for me. I noticed that some of the jars were 1/4 full of just juice from the peaches before I added the syrup. I hope they turn out Okay. They look pretty nice. I also made about a half gallon of nectar. I didn't can it though. I figured the kids will drink it within a day or two. I am very happy that I decided to plant a couple of peach trees a few years ago.