Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forgot to add lemon juice to the tomato sauce

Posted by mntfrgs (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 8, 09 at 1:26

Yesterday I canned tomato sauce with peppers and garlic. I realized after that I did not add lemon juice. My jars all sealed. After 24 hours I placed them in the refrigerator. How long do I have to use them up? Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forgot to add lemon juice to the tomato sauce

See the other very recent post about the same exact thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Other related thread

o
RE: Forgot to add lemon juice - mntfrgs

Make sure you boil the sauce for at least 10 minutes before using it. I always boil mine that amount of time anyway.

o

Since it has been longer than 24 hours it is too late to reprocess them as suggested in the other discussion.

Did you do them in a BWB or PC and for how long? It can make a difference in cold storage time but basically its no more than 3 weeks in the fridge. Or you can open them, bring back to a boil, add the lemon juice, put in freezer containers and freeze them for longer storage.

Dave

o

I would immediately freeze the jars of sauce. Especially since you have added peppers and garlic. Not sure if you used a safe recipe for them or not, minus the bottled lemon juice.
If you keep them sealed up in the jars, if any botulism is in there, it will grow faster, in the absence of air.
Pop the seals and freeze right away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here