Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nilajones

How do you like to preserve your figs?

NilaJones
10 years ago

For those lucky enough to live in a climate where you can grow a treefull :).

Last year I froze them, some whole and some cut. Then in winter I made them into fig preserves and chutney. The best batch (OMG, so good!) I added extra lemon juice and sliced the yellow part of the lemon peels into matchsticks.

(I was thinking to also make a tart with some of them, but I never did. I forgot about it till this writing :) but there was a yugoslavian recipe online with goat cheese that sounded awfully good.)

This year I found an indian recipe (in Modern Spice)where you roast them till carmelized, then eat them with yogurt, spices, coconut, and sweetener of choice. Amazing! Plus, roasting them makes them lose 90% of their volume ;). So now I am roasting then freezing. Prolly good that way in a tart, too.

In the past I have dried them, but in my climate they have to be VERY dry, like fruit leather or they mold, and I don't think they are that great in that form. Though I met a woman t'other day who said that she dries stuff halfway and the foodsavers it, and it keeps at room temp.

So, those are all my ideas. Now I want to hear yours :).

Comments (3)