Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sloppy joe sauce

Posted by kristlindgren 4 WI (kristlindgren@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 1:47

I make this recipe for sloppy joes and would like to know of a way I could can it? I will not be adding the meat to my canning jars just the tomato mixture with onions also.

1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion
1 can tomato soup
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp vinegar

Brown ground beef with onion. Cook till onion is clear and meat is cooked. Add remaining ingredients and simmer till warm. This works wonderful for an open house warm dish. The longer it sits in your crock pot on low or warm the more it starts to pick up a bbq flavor.

Well there it is, does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you all for helping me out.

Kristine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sloppy joe sauce

I wouldn't.
1. No way of knowing a correct processing time.
2. When you're using shelf stable products (soup, ketchup, vinegar and sugar), what is the point of spending the money on jars and lids to basically re-can stuff? If you're planning to cook the hamburger later anyway, you aren't really gaining anything by canning it.

This is a cooking recipe, not canning.

Deanna

o

If you have the room, you would save more time by browning ground beef and onion in large amounts then dividing it and freezing. The remaining ingredients are packaged and shelf-stable already.

Carol

o

You both make very good points. I thank you for the advice and will just do as each of you say.

Thanks agian,

Kris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here