Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dumb, repetitive question

Posted by gardengalrn 5KS (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 2:02

I'm really wanting to can up some soups for winter and easy lunches. I was thinking some veg beef, ham and bean, possibly some chicken type soup. I love barley in my veg beef, is that OK to add because I've read that rice isn't, which I also love. I want to get this straight in my head: You can make soup generally how you want, with the meats and veggies. Then scoop out the solids to half the jar. Then the broth to fill, leaving 1" headspace. Keep the fat content to the bare minimal you will get with the meat. Then process for the type of meat you have added or the longest veggie if no meat. Is that about right? The only soup I've made to can was the French Onion recipe which I loved but my family wasn't a big fan of. I've been using it as a base or marinade for roasts, etc. Lori, who has several books to get recipes out of but was hoping on tried and true recommendations.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dumb, repetitive question

Sorry, no grains can be added, and that includes barley as well as rice. But barley is easy to add at the time the soup is heated and cooks quickly. Or, of course, leftover barley can be frozen in small quantities and added to the soup when the jar is opened.

There are specific instructions for soup, including the half-and-half recommendation (solids and liquid) and a specific processing time.

The exception to the recommended processing time is any tested recipe for a particular type of soup, like those included in the Ball Blue Book.

Check the link.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Can Meat and Vegetable Soups

o

Thanks, Carol! I have to ask why grains aren't allowed, just for my own quest for knowledge, LOL!! Density issue when they expand and break apart? I'm just curious. Lori

o

Then process for the type of meat you have added or the longest veggie if no meat. Is that about right?

Right to this point. As Carol said, soup has specific processing times given. The old guideline of "for the longest time" is just that, a very old guideline (as in not used).

Grains are thickeners. No thickeners are allowed because they void the processing times. They retard heat penetration and can create cold spots within the jar that can become bacterial growth islands. All grains and any other thickeners are added AFTER the jar is opened at serving time.

Dave

o

Mainly it's that they haven't been tested for an appropriate processing time. So yes, if a reliable source tested it would be possible, but funding is so limited, it just hasn't been done.

It's unfortunate. I'd like to use barley or wild rice or similar myself.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here