Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eddie1025

Watermelon Rind Pickle Mishap - Advice Please

eddie1025
9 years ago

I was using the NCHFP recipe for watermelon rind pickles. I had boiled the sugar/brine for 5 minutes and poured this over the prepared rind. Then the bowl tipped and about half the syrup went right down the drain! Here I stand without enough sugar to redo the syrup and no store open at this time of night.

I pushed the rind down until it was covered and added one cup of brine that was left over from another batch of rind pickles last week that was sitting in the fridge.

I'm hoping that since the I still have enough brine to cover everything that I can still salvage the recipe in the morning. Am I not thinking about this correctly? Will the balance of sugar and acid be off?

With the massive amount of sugar and the added vinegar I can't imagine it would be unsafe but I don't want to make anyone sick either. Should I proceed with what I have? Should I go to the store in the morning and make another batch of sugar/brine to proceed with the canning? Should I throw out the whole batch?

Sigh. Canning at 1am isn't ideal but sometimes it's just impossible to fit things in at a reasonable hour.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can give.

Comments (6)

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

The brine from the fridge - did you heat that up before you poured it in the bowl? It was prepared and left over from another batch - same recipe? Had it had rind sitting in it and left over after canning, or was it extra, never used?

• eddie1025
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The brine was NOT reheated before adding it. It was prepared and left over from another batch of the same recipe but did NOT have rind sitting in it. The old brine had been boiled with the rind from the first batch.

I still have to boil the rind and brine for an hour today so I'm not so worried about bacterial contamination. I can't imagine much surviving that. I just want the acid content to be high enough to be safe.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

If it hadn't been used before then I wouldn't worry about bacterial contamination (or possible dilution from water seeping out of the first batch of rind, which is what you were getting at when you asked about acidity ). It should have been heated (per the recipe) before adding to the rest, not added straight from the fridge b/c it would cool off the hot brine, but it's already done, if you stirred it in well I'm sure it was fine and the recipe does call for refrigerating overnight anyway.

I don't know how much spilled, if 1C was enough to replace, if you haven't boiled the rind yet today you might want to borrow 3C of sugar from a neighbor and mix it with 1C of water and 1C of vinegar (1/3 recipe) to make sure you have enough to can. Worst case, if you find you don't have enough syrup to cover, just process what you can and stick the rest in the fridge, it should last until you can get some more sugar and then just make refrigerator pickle version out of it.

• eddie1025
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I decided to take your advice and make a 1/3 recipe of brine and go forward.

The recipe is a bit vague at NCHFP, though. Do I remove the lemon slices before boiling for one hour on day two? Do I remove them after the boil? Do I leave the lemon slices in the finished product? Do I leave the spice bag in the brine while doing the one hour boil?

What I've done in past years with good success is to boil both the spice bag and lemon slices for the one hour and then discard everything except the cinnamon sticks that go into the jars.

What does everyone thinK?

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP Watermelon Rind Pickles

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I've never made that recipe (I tried the one in The Joy of Pickling once and didn't care for it). I can't tell about the lemon slices - I think it's our call but they'd probably be in tiny pieces after boiling that long, it would be hard to pull them out. I really don't know if the spice bag gets pulled out after the overnight soak or whether it stays in for the final boil - again, I don't really think it matters.

• thatcompostguy
    9 years ago

The recipes in the Joy of Pickling call for the lemon slices to be in the spice bag and removed with them.