Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momagain1

Found 2 wonderful sounding recipes BUT

momagain1
13 years ago

With me being new; I cannot tell if these are safe to use; would someone take a look please and let me know..I tend to not make recipes that are not either here or "official" with the national site etc..

http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/blog/2010/05/23/candied-jalapenos-cowboy-candy/

http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/blog/2010/05/18/canned-barbecue-beans-el-pollo-loco-bbq-black-beans-clone/

Thank you for taking the time!

Comments (12)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

I tend to not make recipes that are not either here or "official" with the national site etc..

Best to stick with that approach for now. ;) There are other safe online sites. The one you linked is NOT one of them.

Dave

• momagain1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ok; well Ill give up the beans for now; but I really need somthing like that recipe for the jalapenos...any suggestions? I have not found one similar; but I may not know where to look either and its NOT in the ball book :-)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

No one really NEEDS candied jalapenos. ;)

I'm not saying the recipes are unsafe. I don't see any problems with the Jalapeno Candy one as it is 100% vinegar. The beans would need fresh boiling water rather than just water and her PC processing recommendations of 15# for 90 mins. are way out of line with the norm for dried beans.

My point was experience teaches. Until that experience is gained it is safest to stick with approved recipes from approved sources.

Think about canning the basic ingredients safely. That is what home canning is all about, not niche' recipes like these. Then you can use the basic ingredients in any number of ways after opening.

Both of these recipes could just as easily be made from the instructions available from approved sources like NCHFP - plain canned dried beans to which the spices are added after the jar is opened and just prior to serving. Or from plain canned jalapeno slices which are candied after the jar is opened and stored in the fridge.

Dave

• readinglady
    13 years ago

I don't see any problem at all with the Candied Jalapenos. I see she checked with her local Extension office before canning. Basically it's just a standard pickled jalapeno with a whole lot of sugar, so go ahead if you want.

As far as the beans are concerned, I wouldn't touch those. The beans are soaked and raw-packed and covered with tap water. Like Dave I have no idea where the 15psi came from. Maybe they're OK, but I just don't mess with untested recipes when we're talking beans.

Carol

• momagain1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have already canned lots of pickled jalapenos tc..frozen some etc..He just wanted to try to have something different..and of course no one NEEDS them..but I'd rather do something with them rather than throw them out!

BTW--I've BWB many yrs now; its the pressurized canning that I'm new to..HTH clear things up..
    The reason I asked about them is cause I just use recipes and dont know how to tell by looking at a recipe (yet) if it is safe or not..thats wy I asked :-)

Thank you all for your help!!

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Jalapenos dry exceptionally well. They work great for salsa, hot sauce, bar-b-q sauce, stuffed with cheeses and meats as poppers and then frozen, roasted and frozen, pureed and frozen as paste, and in flavored vinegars too.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Making flavored vinegars

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

The candied jalapenos are fine. They are just lots of vinegar and sugar.

The bbq beans, you need to fully rehydrate them first by following the USDA guidelines for dried beans. Then, be sure your beans are really liquidy when you can them. I would fill half full then add half liquid. They will be basically like the beans in tomato sauce recipe.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

Dry the jalapenos and smoke them. Voila. Chipotle. Good for all sorts of recipes.

Powder the pods and store like the spice they are, in airtight jars.

• readinglady
    13 years ago

We've really been enjoying the bread&butter jals in a honey and vinegar syrup. Very pretty with half red and half green.

Sadly, it makes no sense here to dry and smoke jals because DH doesn't like chipotle anything. I'd love to do some but it would just be a waste.

The bean recipe does sound good. I do like Linda Lou's suggestion of using the beans in tomato sauce method. One big concern with the original recipe is those dried beans will swell during processing into basically a solid mass. The density issue is really a problem.

You're doing the right thing by asking. That's definitely wiser than just grabbing appealing recipes online.

Carol

• momagain1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all! drying them; just low heat in oven? I'll have to do research on that! sounds like it may be a good thing to do also!

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

If you don't have a dehydrator then yes you can do them on as low as possible heat in the oven - 150 or less if your oven goes that low. Split in half - cut side up - they will dry faster than if left whole.

Dave

• mjstl
    13 years ago

Carol,

I searched for the bread&butter jal but could not find a recipe? Was wondering if you might share. They sound fun.

Mike