Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missemerald

Looking for Corn Cob Jelly recipe

missemerald
12 years ago

MIL grew corn this year, so we froze a lot of it (off and on the cob), I've also made corn relish. I found a recipe that looked interesting, for Corn Cob Jelly, that I wanted to try (just because), but now I can't find it! Does anyone have one they would like to share... and has anyone tried this stuff? I hear it tastes like honey.

Thanks!

Marcy

Comments (15)

• oukay
    12 years ago

I do not have a recipe, but I am very curious about how it would taste. I always imagined that it would taste like sugar and lemon juice. Since so many people like it, however, it must taste good. Keep us posted!

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

NCHFP has a recipe. Not sure what "red corn cobs" are - says from field corn. So I don't know if you can make this from sweet corn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corncob Jelly

• nancyofnc
    12 years ago

One of my fellow vendors at the farmers market makes and sells corn cob jelly. She does not sell many. It tastes like pectin and sugar, no other real taste. Not what I'd want to put on my toast, and probably no nutritional value there either. Just sayin'.

Nancy

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I made it last summer - used the NCHFP recipe. I used the cobs from my peaches 'n cream corn.

I consider it a novelty. Like my Queen Annes Lace Jelly. I think it tastes a bit like jelled corn syrup - though I can't recall ever tasting actual corn syrup - it's sweet with just the slightest hint/aroma of corn flavor.

I did make a note that if I make it again, I would boil the cobs a lot longer to try to get more corn flavor in the liquid. After you boil the cobs - taste the liquid - that is what your jelly will taste like. If the liquid tastes like water, your jelly will taste like water.

• denninmi
    12 years ago

I tried it last weekend. Not impressed. I used sweetcorn cobs from mostly Sun and Stars. It has kind of a weird, grassy aftertaste very, very similar to the flavor of the homemade sorghum syrup I made a trial batch of 2 years ago. I decided that I disliked it enough to feed it to my bees so as to not waste the 4 cups of sugar. Of course, they cleaned up the quart of it in about an hour. I didn't add pectin, so honestly, it was more of a syrup than a jelly.

The recipe I used was online, and very simple. It called for boiling a dozen cobs after cutting the kernels off in enough water to cover for 15 minutes, straining and reserving 3 cups of the liquid, adding 4 cups of sugar and a tablespoon of lemon juice, and adding a package of pectin and boiling, processing as per any jelly. Also said some cinnamon was optional. After I tasted the water and then the semi-completed product, I decided I wasn't going to waste a box of pectin on it, because I could tell it was going to taste funny when cooled.

• Charcuterie
    11 years ago

I thought corn was a low acid ingredient that was one of the highest risk foods for botulism. I don't understand how this is safe for water bath canning without any additional acid.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

What I can't understand is why anyone would waste the time making or eating it. I think it is one of the old never-waste-anything recipes from pioneer days, an excuse to eat sugar water. Plus it is supposed to be made with old red cob field corn, not sweet corn cobs.

Because all you are actually canning is flavored water. The instructions make it very clear that you cannot squeeze or press the cobs and must allow free, well-strained dripping only. In other words there is a high level of air and O2 exposure.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Corn Cob jelly - NCHFP

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

I am going to be the lone dissenter here. I made the recipe from Chickens in the Road website (link below) and kind of liked it. I am in the "little waste" camp.
    It tastes a bit like honey.

I believe I made mine from Bodacious cobs (sweet corn).
    To each their own, I guess.

Deanna

Here is a link that might be useful: corn cob jelly recipe

• gardenman101
    11 years ago

You know, that sounds weird enough for me to try...lol,although I willl do the later recipe. If iit taste like honey, do you think it can be used like honey/

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

gardenman - mine came out the consistency of jelly. so it's not like you can pour it out of the jar and use it like honey. since it was not popular in our house as jelly, I ended up using it in place of sugar when I baked muffins.

• gardenman101
    11 years ago

Ty Pixie lou,
    I know that there are mixed revues on the flavor, but i am the kinda person who has to try it to see if i like it or not. Do u use it as a 1 to 1 ratio when using in muffins (ie 1cup sugar = 1 cup jam)?

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

gardenman - i'm totally the same way. i totally had to make it - just to try it. even though there have been plenty of not so favorable reviews.

and yes - i use it 1 to 1 for sugar. I usually pop it in the microwave a bit to melt it some before adding it. (I also use mint jelly as a sugar substitute when I make chocolate muffins.)

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

I made corncob jelly last year, I use Pomonas and add less sugar to recipes and this jelly turned out just fine. I use it to sweeten the herbal teas I make from saved herbs all winter. Mine always tastes like honey: we only use super sweet white corn.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I haven't made the jelly, but this year I boiled some cobs after stripping the corn off. Cooked them for a while and froze the liquid in jars. It doesn't have much flavor, so I'm going to use it when I cook soups.

• Okie4Ever
    11 years ago

I've read boiling corn cobs for medicinal use is good for bladder problems and/or a diuretic. Corn silk tea also.
    I think I'll not waste the time, sugar or pectin on the jelly though.