Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slimy_okra

What to do with RIPE tomatillos?

Slimy_Okra
10 years ago

I haven't been able to keep up with my tomatillos, and some of them are starting to ripen (these are the purple variety). They taste mildly sweet and bland, kind of like a boring tomato. What can I use them for?

Comments (5)

• Christen17
    10 years ago

Chop them up and sauté with onions, peppers and a little garlic. They'll be delicious on top of eggs, tacos, chicken breasts, enchiladas...well you get the picture. Very good. I also make a salsa verde with them with onion, chicken broth, a squeeze of fresh lime juice simmer and purée. Add a bit of sugar if it's too tart. Then freeze it. It keeps wonderfully in the freezer.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Mmmm that does sound good Christian! You can also dehydrate them like many do with cherry tomatoes. It intensifies the flavor. Just cut in half and dry them cut side up.

And if you like relishes, like on hot dogs or brats etc. then there are several good relish recipes you can use to can them.

Dave

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

I likle tomatillos in guacamole. I just add chopped onion, tomatillos, cilantro and lime juice to the mashed avocado.

You could roast them with onions, garlic and chiles. Then take mix them with crushed/broken tortilla chips, left over chicken and monterey jack cheese, bake that until the cheese melts and you have chilaquiles, perfect for football season.

I hope to make a purple tomatillo salsa for my 15 yo son who likes the Ravens. Once a year for a game I try to make a bunch of purple food for him. If you do not like the Ravens, then the purple salsa can be a metaphor for beating them down.

• annie1992
    10 years ago

I just made a batch of the Roasted Tomatillo Chipotle salsa from the Ball Complete book, I like it a lot and I'll make more.

I also make this recipe from Ann T, on the Cooking Forum, it's very good. There are enough flavors going on that the ripe tomatillos would still be good, I think, although I love the sour green tomato flavor of green tomatillos when they have just barely burst their covering.

Stacked Enchiladas -Ann T
    ==================
    Source: Southwest Cookbook

Vegetable oil for frying
    12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
    1 1/2 cups (12 fl ounces) green Chili Sauce (recipe follows)
    2 cups (8 ounces) grated Monterey Jack or Cheddar Cheese
    3/4 cups finely chopped onion

Preheat oven to 350�F. Pour vegetable oil into a medium , heavy skilled to depth of 1/2 inch. Heat the oil over medium high heat to 375�F, or until a strip of tortilla browns in 60 seconds. Soften the tortillas, one at a time, for about 5 seconds per side in the hot oil and drain on paper towels.

Heat the green chili sauce in a shallow pan and dip each softened tortilla into the sauce. Place 1 coated tortilla on an oven proof plate and top with 1 tablespoons green chili sauce, 2 tablespoons grated cheese and 1 tablespoon chopped onion; repeat twice so that 1 serving contains 3 layered tortillas. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 4 tortilla stacks. Bake the stacks for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts.

NOTE: Add cooked chicken and or pinto or black beans between layers.

Green Chili Sauce
    1 Jalapeno chili seeded and diced
    1 garlic clove crushed
    1/4 cup chopped green onions
    4 tomatillos, husked and diced (or use canned)
    1 1/2 cups chicken stock
    2 new Mexico green or Anaheim chilies, roasted, peeled, cored, seeded and diced.
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    1 tablespoon heavy cream
    salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

In a medium saucepan, place the jalapeno , garlic, green onions, tomatillos and chicken stock. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat' reduce heat and simmer until theliquid is reduced to about 1 cup about 15 to 20 minutes.
    Pour the chicken stock mixture into a blender or food processor.
    Add the Anaheim chilies, cilantro and lime juice; puree until smooth. Add salt and pepper. Add the cream and mix again. Serve warm. Keep 1 to 2 days refrigerated.

Servings: 4

Annie

• Slimy_Okra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone :)