Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning Parsnips

Posted by gardensewer (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 3:20

Has anyone canned parsnips? Just wondering how they come out. I know some root veggies like rutabagas don't can well but wondered about parsnips.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning Parsnips

I don't know how cold your winters are, but can't you just leave them in the ground and harvest as needed?

o

I don't know how cold your winters are, but can't you just leave them in the ground and harvest as needed?

o

Only tried them once when a neighbor canned them and that was years ago. Never canned them myself.

Can't really recall what we didn't like about them - texture maybe - but NCHFP recommends freezing in blanched 1/2" cubes or drying in thin strips rather than canning.

Dave

o

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 17:40

I leave them in the garden (they're much sweeter after the frosts hit) until the ground is ready to freeze solid so I can't pull them or dig them. Then I either store them in a container of barely damp sand in the root cellar or freeze them. Frankly, I don't bother blanching or cutting them up. I just throw them whole in a bag and vacuum seal them. We use them in stews and soups all winter. Texture is a little soft after freezing, but I'm cooking them anyway so that doesn't bother me.

o

I just leave mine in the ground all winter, they're the first fresh vegetable in the spring as soon as the ground thaws enough to dig them. A couple of times I've mulched them heavily and managed to dig some up at Christmas, even here in Michigan. They do store just fine in a root cellar as malna mentioned.

I also can rutabaga. I know it isn't "recommended" and that the Ball Blue Book removed instructions for a couple of years. It was not a safety issue, the notes said that they get "strong". However, I like them and apparently a lot of other people do too, because there were enough complaints that the directions are now back. With warnings, of course, about the strong flavor.

Annie

o

I'm with those who say leave them in the ground or store in earth/sand, etc. or a fridge. I can't imagine anything much more disgusting than a canned parsnip. Same goes for rutabaga, another winter vegetable. Canning them strikes me as a waste of effort, energy and materials for a result which would be inferior to the fresh vegetable. We eat them both all through the winter. The parsnips we mostly eat roasted and the rutabaga mostly mashed or in stews.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here