Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laceyvail

Where can you buy Fenugreek seeds?

laceyvail 6A, WV
16 years ago

The Madras Pickled Eggplant recipe that someone posted calls for fenugreek. Krogers didn't have it and even Penzeys (which has everything) didn't list it--only ground.

Where can you buy it?

Comments (9)

• cynki
    16 years ago

Well, I buy that sort of thing from a local herb/spice/tea shop. You may need to look for a similar local-to-you shop rather than a grocery store. You might try health food stores too - I believe fenugreek seeds are used in homeopathic medicine. Of course, anything can be bought online, I just don't have an online retailer I know to tell you since I use a local shop, but someone else here probably does.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Here is a link for both whole and ground. Now you can say you found it though Ksrogers (thats me!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Whole fenugreek

• ilovepoco
    16 years ago

I've been buying herbs and spices online from Penzey's, ever since someone sent me a gift box many years ago. Lots of info on how to use various spices and herbs. Great quality and quick shipping. Sign up to receive their printed catalog, because some of the recipes are very simple, fast and good. They have many retail stores too.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Penzey's home page

• readinglady
    16 years ago

If there's an Indian market around, you should definitely find it there.

Here's a link to to Penzey's parent company, the one begun by the parents and now run by Bill Penzey's sister Pam.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spice House Whole and Ground Fenugreek

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your responses. I live in a very rural area--no specialty stores here!--and I mail order many things, and get most of my spices from Penzeys, but the catalog did not list whole fenugreek. I'll try Spice House.

• ilovepoco
    16 years ago

sorry lacey, I completely glossed over the fact in your original post that Penzey's didn't have whole fenugreek seed - and then recommended Penzey's to you!

Interesting link to the Spice House. Wonder why there are 2 such similar businesses in the same family?

Susan

• readinglady
    16 years ago

As I understand it, Pam got married and the parents wanted to retire, so she and her husband bought the company.

Don't know if son was pursuing his own interests at that time or what, but there's certainly no ill-feeling as he often writes about Pam and her family in his magazine.

It may be he had his own ideas about the direction he wanted to go and chose to strike out on his own. Spice House has remained (apparently deliberately) smaller and more local while Penzey's has become one of the biggest kids on the block, as spices go.

I like Spice House a bit better, though I've ordered from both and been very satisfied. I find their site offers more information, more recipes. Also, to me (purely personal) there seems less emphasis on "blends" and more on the spices themselves. Spice House also offers a small "jar refill" bag size which Penzey's doesn't. It meets my needs better and is cheaper. At Penzey's you have to buy 4 oz. to get a bag as opposed to a jar. That's a lot of spice.

Carol

• Lybui12_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I looking to buy fenugreek seed.and I woud like to know how much for one pound?

• Asal Mgr
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Any one looking to buy fenugreek seeds,

If you are a Indian, you can find from The Spice Market

Here is a link that might be useful: Buy Fenugreek Seeds Online India

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio