Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mainegardener

I need to use up some applesauce

mainegardener
15 years ago

Here's the problem: We have a huge amount of leftover canned applesauce (unsweetened) from last year that are taking way too much room, and probably won't last another year on the shelf. We used a different type of apple (Limbertwig) that apparently my family isn't too keen on. Both the kids and my mother are reluctant to eat it even mixed with whipped cream. Too acidic, they say. Oh, well. Won't make that mistake again. (In past years, we usually would use Gravenstein, Cortland, and Golden Delicious, and we could easily go through well over a hundred jars per year of that.) Anyway, other than applesauce cake and muffins, I can't find many good recipes, and I thought that maybe members here might have some good ones. I tried using the search feature, but it isn't all that good. So, recipes would be appreciated.

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Applesauce muffins, mock applebutter with cinnamon and brown sugar added to it, applesauce bars or cookies, applesauce-carrot cake, applesauce pancakes.

We do applesauce and onion stuffed pork chops - just butterfly thick chops, stuff, seal with toothpick and bake. And pork tenderloin roll with applesauce and you can even inject it into pork roast with an injector - VERY moist and delicious.

Linked a couple of others below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipes with applesauce

• readinglady
    15 years ago

Why wouldn't it last another year on the shelf? Certainly use it up in baked and cooked recipes, but it should last just fine until you have an opportunity to finish it.

Carol

• fiveinall
    15 years ago

Try going to www.allrecipes.com
    in the recipe search feature you can choose ingredients I want....type in applesauce..I did and it came back with over 300 recipes there were waffles,cookies, christmas ornaments...lots and lots to choose from!!

• mainegardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dave, thanks for the recipes link.

Carol, I'm just guessing about not lasting another year on the shelf, since the sauce started to turn from a yellow color to a darker color a few months ago. Last year was my first time canning Old-Fashioned Limbertwig applesauce, and I'm not sure how long it will keep before it goes bad. Considering that it tastes more like lemon sauce than applesauce, it probably will last for years due to all the acid. It was bad advice that I use that variety. I was told that it makes good applesauce, and it does indeed cook down very quickly into a thick sauce that tastes pretty good when fresh. However, age it a few weeks and the taste changes.

However, the main problem is space for all of the canning jars. Hundreds of full canning jars everywhere with various vegetables, pickles, etc. stacked in corners, closets, under beds, under the kitchen table, etc. Now that the Gravensteins are starting to ripen, we'll be canning more applesauce soon, and I'd prefer that the older sauce doesn't go bad while forgotten somewhere, as I know nobody will eat it as plain applesauce when we have the "good" applesauce available again. And we can always use the emptied jars. Sorry about rambling. Being crowded with canning jars is better than starving, I suppose.

• mainegardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fiveinall, thanks for the link.

• readinglady
    15 years ago

I totally understand. I've never seen applesauce, despite age, change in color like that, but I've never canned anything but Gravenstein, so I admit I have no experience with the variety you mention.

I do know what it's like to have too much product and acknowledge your desire to find ways to use it up as quickly as possible.

Carol

• dgkritch
    15 years ago

You can sub applesauce for the oil in lots of muffins and sweet bread recipes.

My mom used to add sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch and bake it in a graham cracker crust for a quick/easy pie. I like a little oatmeal sprinkled on top for a crunchy one.

Use it as a base for a chicken or ham glaze.
    Or a BBQ sauce.

Deanna

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Thought of this discussion at the store today - Cinnamon Applesauce Strudel. Freezes well and can be quickly thawed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner dessert. You can make it using any of the frozen bread dough and if you put all that butter, cinnamon and brown sugar strudel topping on it and they will eat it up. A dollop of whipped or iced cream makes it even better. ;)

Dave