Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes left on stovetop

Posted by dian57 M-H Valley NY-5 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 6:49

Sunday evening I quartered about 40 lbs of fresh tomatoes and heated them to near-boil in preparation for the food mill and eventual processing. We had an emergency that took us out of the house. Now, I have a huge pot of tomoatoes sitting in a covered pot on my stovetop.

Dump them or is there anyway to salvage this mess?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes left on stovetop

Unfortunately, you need to dump them.
Way too long at "bacteria loving" temps.

Compost pile? Just consider it fertilizer.
Chickens? Feed!

Bummer, but sometimes things just happen.

Deanna

o

• Posted by marymb Oregon zone 8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 2:29

Why couldn't she have boiled them for 15 or 20 minutes? Wouldn't that have killed any bad bacteria?

o

Why couldn't she have boiled them for 15 or 20 minutes? Wouldn't that have killed any bad bacteria?

No. It might have destroyed any toxins that had developed over the 48 hours but it wouldn't have killed any of the heat-tolerant bacteria. Much higher temp than boiling would be required to do that. They would have gone into the jars and sealed into an anaerobic environment.

Boiling the food AFTER opening jars and before consuming it only destroys toxins, not bacteria.

Dave

o

Leaving warm tomatoes covered on a stovetop like that is also an invitation to flat-sour which is really nasty.

I'd be afraid that even if the tomatoes were safe to eat they wouldn't be palatable.

You could, in theory, bring them to the boil, cook and then PC, which is going to destroy what's there, but the product is so compromised you're expending a lot of energy (yours and utilities) for an inferior product.

I'm very sorry but emergencies happen. I'd just dump and move on.

Carol

o

• Posted by marymb Oregon zone 8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 13:55

OK. I was curious, and it's better to be safe than sorry!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here