Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anner_gw

Using home recipes

Anner
10 years ago

Hello -
I am so happy to find this forum. I just started canning and I'm already addicted!
I have been reading books and magazines and all of them state not to alter the canning recipes printed as the measurements need to be exact.
Does this mean I should not use my own recipes? I have tomatoes galore and would love to can my favorite sauces, but I am a little concerned about the acid level and other guidelines I am not aware of.
I was also wondering if it is alright to make a recipe a few hours before canning as long as it has been reheated before canning?
Thank you!

Comments (6)

• malna
    10 years ago

Number 1 rule - don't can your own recipes. You have no way of testing them to see if they are safe. I know - it's a bummer. You can always freeze your sauces.

When I run out of time, I will refrigerate a sauce and reheat to boiling when I'm ready to can it. I try not to do that, but life gets in the way sometimes.

If you're not referring to sauce, it would depend on the product you want to can. Jellies or jams would be treated differently than relish, for example, if you ran out of time to can them.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Hi Anner and welcome to the forum! :-)

Does this mean I should not use my own recipes?

That is exactly what it means. The most basic guideline in safe home canning is that you cannot safely can your own recipes. Canning creates a very different storage environment that has safety concerns if not properly done.

You have no way to know the pH, the effect of shelf storage on that beginning pH, the density of the food, the type of processing required, or the processing time required.

If you want to post a specific recipe we may be able to tell you how it can be adjusted if it's possible.

I was also wondering if it is alright to make a recipe a few hours before canning as long as it has been reheated before canning?

It depends on what the food is to a degree but in general it is possible for up to 24 hours IF the food is reheated to boiling before filling the jars.

Have you explored all the resources available at NCHFP? They have an online beginners canning course you can take.

Dave

• readinglady
    10 years ago

The rule-of-thumb is not to confuse canning with cooking. When you seal something in a jar it's a whole different world.

While it is true that you can't just can your own recipes willy-nilly, there are some modification in such things as seasonings which can be used with standard recipes. However, for a novice canner it's best to make no changes without running it by someone here (or your local Extension agency if you have one available). Right now you don't have the tools to assess which are harmless "tweaks" and which have significant safety implications.

I second Dave's recommendation of the online FREE self-paced canning course at the NCHFP. That will give you a baseline of knowledge and understanding of the issues.

Carol

• Anner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all , your responses are extremely helpful- I actually did not realize the science behind canning.

I am definitely going to look into the on line course at NCHFP - thanks for the suggestion.

Anne

• thatcompostguy
    10 years ago

You can also send the folks at Ball/Kerr a question and they will reply. I found a problem with their search mechanism on their website and called their attention to it and they thanked me. Also suggested that if there are recipes there that are not in print already, maybe they could point those out somehow. They thought that was a good idea as well. But they also answer questions about recipe alteration and safety and everything related to canning. It's not over night, but they do reply. Might be just that they're busy this time of year.

And they have a 1-800 number for immediate questions... 1-800-240-3340

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball/Kerr Contact page

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Many state Extension agencies offer an "Ask an Expert" service for questions about food preservation, food safety, nutrition, gardening, emergency planning, etc.

Here in Oregon we have one of the most active in the nation. I emailed a canning question and received a response in less than 24 hours.

Many state Extension services also offer canning hotlines in season.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Oregon State Ask an Expert Service

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022