Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gininmn

winter squash harvesting

gininmn
12 years ago

I thought I posted this yesterday but when I came back here later to check for replies, couldn't find my post so perhaps it didn't post or ?? I think some of my buttercup squash are ready to be harvested but because frost isn't yet imminent, I wondered about whether I should leave them a bit longer. However, I don't want them to overripen. They are dark green, firm to pressure and stems are at least half or maybe two-thirds brown. DH, who died last November, and I have always had a large garden but he was the primary planter and decision maker on harvesting. We grew lots of varieties winter squash and kept them successfully for many months. I just didn't have the heart for a large garden this year so only planted only a limited garden (one buttercup variety, 6 tomato plants (a Roma type and Celebrity), a small amount of carrots, potatoes, and herbs). Can anyone give me some advice on whether to harvest my (ready) squash now or to let them have another a few weeks in the garden? I'd hate to find they don't keep as well as usual because I left them overripen.

Comments (2)