Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this recipe viable as configured?

Posted by thecurious1 z5 Chicago (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 8:00

Hi Harvest Members-

Can anyone give me some feedback on he viability of this recipe? It sounds tasty but the 1/4 cup of butter scares me. Thank you.

4 whole garlic bulbs
1 teaspoon canola oil
5 cups chopped sweet onions (1-1/2 pounds)
1/4 cup butter, cubed
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup bottled lemon juice
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
6 cups sugar
1 pouch (3 ounces) liquid fruit pectin

Directions
Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic bulbs; brush with oil. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425� for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
In a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Squeeze softened garlic into pan. Stir in the cider vinegar, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, ginger and cloves. Bring to a rolling boil. Gradually add sugar, stirring constantly. Return to a boil for 3 minutes.
Add pectin; bring to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; let stand for 3 minutes. Skim off foam. Pour hot mixture into hot jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Adjust caps. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath. Yield: about 3-1/2 pints.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this recipe viable as configured?

I am not a canning expert, but with the butter and the canola oil, I don't believe this recipe would be sound to can. I wouldn't chance it.

Butter and oils can make mirco-environments in canned goods appropriate for bacteria to grow.

o

If you want an onion jelly Ball and Small Batch both have safe recipes. I think the Small Batch Red Onion Balsamic recipe is on this forum (probably the Greatest Hits thread), and you can get the Ball recipe from their website (www.freshpreserving.com).

o

Other than the butter I would say go for it. Possibly safe even with the butter since it has all that acid and high sugar to help preserve it. I would think you could saute the veggies without that butter.
Just use low heat and they should be fine.

o

Without testing or a knowledge of previous testing it's impossible to determine if the amount of acid is sufficient to compensate for the amount of fat.

As we don't know where the recipe came from (i.e. the original source's credentials) the safest option is to assume it's too high a risk to can and just freeze it.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here