Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eskie78

using tomato seeds in spaghetti sauce or not

eskie78
15 years ago

I was just wondering if I can keep the seeds from the tomatoes in my sauce. The recipe does not say to remove them, but I have no clue. Also if I decide to strain one batch for a non chunky sauce, do I use the same amount. The recipe calls for 16 cups chopped tomatoes, would I use 16 cups of strained?? Thanks

Deb

Comments (9)

• shirleywny5
    15 years ago

If I remove the seeds, I would still measure 16 cups of sauce. I'm sure the sauce will be simmered and reduce by half. Either way, measure 16 cups.

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

The seeds and skins tend to make a bitter tasting saucc. I had used the food strainer and tied to cook down the seeds and skins, as well as pulverizing them in a blender. It was a awful taste. These inexpensive machines remove all seeds and skins. Even if you use a larger holed slasa screem it too can remove a lot of seeds and skins. For me, I like thick sauces and cut open each tomato to scoop out most of the seeds and the watery gel. Once thats done, the food strainer can give me a vice sauce that doesn't need much cooking down. Chopped, strained, they are the same as your measuring them as a liquid. Its all up to you as to your texture preference.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

You'll be much happier with the taste (and the sauce appearance) if you remove the seeds.

Dave

• gardengalrn
    15 years ago

While it ends up as a personal preference, I dislike seeds in the sauce. I agree with Ken that leaving the seeds in impart a very bitter or "off" taste when biting into one. I don't like them at all in home-canned goods. It makes a little more work but worth it, IMO. Lori

• bb
    15 years ago

I think it's baking powder you can add to lessen the bitterness with seeds. maybe it was baking soda? I haven't done this in a few years, I've a very large strainer now.

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Baking soda. It also will raise the pH, so be careful! Use it in place of a bit of sugar at serving time.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Whoo boy! If I took the time to take out all the seeds and peel all those maters, I wouldn't have time to EAT any of it!!!

Then you need a tomato mill. Many. many discussions here on the various types. Peels and removes all the seeds at one time quick as you can say spaghetti sauce!! ;)

Dave

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Ninjabut,
    Maybe an investment of a food strainer would speed things up quite a lot. These require no pre-prepping of tomatoes. You simply place them whole or cut up in big chunks, and out comes a nice sauce, with all seeds and skins out the waste end. There is also a salsa screen for this machine that gives a nice minced texture and still takes out most seeds and all skins. These can handle a bushel in less than an hour in most cases. Check out the food strainers Villaware/Roma/Weston, or others etc.
    I don't like watery sauces, so I take the extra few seconds to cut them open, and dig out the watery liquid and some seeds. Then they get put through the food strainer and a thicker sauce comes out.