Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtundermyfingers

Canning vegetable soup with cabbage in it

dirtundermyfingers
13 years ago

I love vegetable soup with cabbage in it. I am starting to make a vegetable soup to can using the complete canning book and I was wondering if I can add cabbage to the mix, reducing another ingredient. I would add 1-2 cups. I can't find anything about canning cabbage that isn't pickled or fermented.

Stacie

Comments (8)

• malna
    13 years ago

According to Preserving Food Safely (Michigan State University), canning cabbage is not recommended except for sauerkraut.

I'd bet it's a taste issue (like other cabbage family members - Brussels sprouts, turnips and broccoli) which become really strong and discolored when canned.

Here is a link that might be useful: Preserving Food Safely

• readinglady
    13 years ago

As mentioned, cabbage isn't specifically prohibited from soups.

I would guess it's bitterness and quality issues with canned cabbage as the sole product in a jar, like rutabagas. Those canning instructions were pulled because it was felt the final product wasn't appealing but then they were restored because some liked it.

However, I doubt a little cabbage in soup is going to present the same problem. I would do a small batch first to verify the result is what you want.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Hyperlink for NCHFP Soups

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

Use the link Carol provided, but I would go easy on the amount as it gets bitter and strong when canned.
    I have added cabbage to soup before and I liked it, but it was in a tomato based soup with lots of other vegetables.

• susanlovesgardening
    13 years ago

I made some lovely vegetable soup a few months ago and made the BAD mistake of adding cabbage to it. I finally poured the last of it down the disposal a few days ago. It tasted and smelled awful.

• dirtundermyfingers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys, i did 14 quarts and 9 pints of vegetable soup WITHOUT cabbage:) I will just add cabbage to it when I heat it up. Now can I freeze the cabbage? I don't mind if it gets soft. I am glad I didn't add it, Soup that only tastes like cabbage wasn't in the plan.

Stacie

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Yes you can freeze it. We just cut the heads into quarters, blanch and freeze them in vacuum bags.

Dave

• tracydr
    13 years ago

I made stock with the tiniest bit of some sort of the cabbage family in it one time. It was terrible! Never again!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor