Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning vegetable soup with cabbage in it

Posted by dirtundermyfingers 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 18, 10 at 8:12

I love vegetable soup with cabbage in it. I am starting to make a vegetable soup to can using the complete canning book and I was wondering if I can add cabbage to the mix, reducing another ingredient. I would add 1-2 cups. I can't find anything about canning cabbage that isn't pickled or fermented.

Stacie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning vegetable soup with cabbage in it

I use this recipe from NCHFP. It doesn't say anything about cabbage being restricted.

I've been able to convert most of my homemade soup recipes into safe canning recipes by using this link. I often don't add any meat, but I usually use chicken stock. But I've also done a pure vegetable soup with veggie stock using this recipe.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/soups.html

o

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 18, 10 at 10:01

According to Preserving Food Safely (Michigan State University), canning cabbage is not recommended except for sauerkraut.

I'd bet it's a taste issue (like other cabbage family members - Brussels sprouts, turnips and broccoli) which become really strong and discolored when canned.

Here is a link that might be useful: Preserving Food Safely

o

As mentioned, cabbage isn't specifically prohibited from soups.

I would guess it's bitterness and quality issues with canned cabbage as the sole product in a jar, like rutabagas. Those canning instructions were pulled because it was felt the final product wasn't appealing but then they were restored because some liked it.

However, I doubt a little cabbage in soup is going to present the same problem. I would do a small batch first to verify the result is what you want.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Hyperlink for NCHFP Soups

o

Use the link Carol provided, but I would go easy on the amount as it gets bitter and strong when canned.
I have added cabbage to soup before and I liked it, but it was in a tomato based soup with lots of other vegetables.

o

I made some lovely vegetable soup a few months ago and made the BAD mistake of adding cabbage to it. I finally poured the last of it down the disposal a few days ago. It tasted and smelled awful.

o

Thanks guys, i did 14 quarts and 9 pints of vegetable soup WITHOUT cabbage:) I will just add cabbage to it when I heat it up. Now can I freeze the cabbage? I don't mind if it gets soft. I am glad I didn't add it, Soup that only tastes like cabbage wasn't in the plan.

Stacie

o

Yes you can freeze it. We just cut the heads into quarters, blanch and freeze them in vacuum bags.

Dave

o

I made stock with the tiniest bit of some sort of the cabbage family in it one time. It was terrible! Never again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here