Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pnbrown

applesauce mystery

pnbrown
11 years ago

Every year I make applesauce in the Weck jars. I use a modest amount of sugar, the sauce is heated twice, the jars are boiled for at least 15 minutes, and still every year most of the jarred sauce gets some degree of mold on top.

It isn't a big deal, I simply scrape off the top portion, but I can't see how this happens. Any idea?

Comments (7)

• food_lover
    11 years ago

Sorry to be asking an additional question and not answering yours. When I make apple sauce, I scrub the unsprayed apples (from the trees in my yard), cut them in eighths, and cook. Once the apples have become saucy, I put them through the food mill to remove the seeds, peels, and core. I add no additional ingredients. I usually freeze the apple sauce. Can I can apple sauce made using the whole apple like I described (with small changes), or is peeling and coring required before cooking if I want to can it?
    Thanks!

• mrswaz
    11 years ago

pnbrown, are you also using a boiling water bath? You indicate that you cook the sauce twice and boil the jars, but are you actually canning them in a boiling water canner? And are you using any lemon juice to ensure acidity?

Mold tells me that either the jars are not clean or you're not getting a proper seal. I've never personally used Weck jars, but they do have some decent FAQ's about canning on their site that might help you out.

Finally, I would never, ever, simply scrape the mold off of a jar of applesauce and consume the rest. If there is mold present on top, the mold is present throughout. I would toss it all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weck Canning Safety

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

Pnbrown:
    If you could post your exact process, we may be able to better determine what is going wrong. I agree that if there's mold on top, there's mold throughout. Molds have "roots" extending far below what is visible.

Food Lover:
    I use the same process you describe and can applesauce every year (going on at least 20). No problem with leaving the peels and cores. Just make sure the sauce is hot when you ladle it into jars and you are waterbath canning it for the appropriate time for your jar size.

Deanna

• pnbrown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I use golden delicious windfalls, usually, or sometimes random roadside trees. I cut out the worst bad spots, cook the apple pieces, let them cool enough to pass through the roma mill, re-heat the puree to boiling along with a little sugar, depending on how tart the apples are. No lemon.

Meanwhile the jars and lids are boiling, I ladle hot puree into the hot jars, put on the lids with fresh seals and that's it, no processing the jars after. My understanding was that apples and tomatoes and most fruit is acidic enough that re-heating the jars after packing isn't necessary, and I don't want to process any more than quite necessary.

• mrswaz
    11 years ago

Yes, you still need to process the jars after the applesauce has been put in them. It is this boiling water process that causes a vacuum within the jar- expelling any air that can cause mold, botulism, and a host of other problems.

You should get your hands on a copy of the Ball Blue Book and familiarize yourself with proper canning procedures, or simply spend some time at the NCHFP website. All tomatoes and fruits need some kind of processing.

Here is a link that might be useful: National Center for Home Food Preservation

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Actually, the lack of air (or oxygen) is what causes botulism toxin to grow. But I'm not surprised you have mold. Windfalls or drops aren't recommended for canning, but you do need to add acid (lemon juice or citric acid, though some people use vinegar) if you do use them. You're lucky - the poor seals may have saved you (though I still wouldn't eat anything that had mold in the jar). But using windfalls without acid and getting a good seal by processing could end up worse than a little mold.

• readinglady
    11 years ago

To expand on what ajsmamma said, windfall apples are lower-acid than whole fresh off-the-branch apples. Bruised apples have a higher pH (lower acid) which is why lemon juice or citric acid is required.

It's possible you believe that heat-processing destroys nutrients but any nutrient loss from that is minimal, especially after the cooking process itself, and boiling water bath is definitely less wasteful and more healthful than mold.

Carol