Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyce86_gw

Mustard pickles - what to do about the Flour?

joyce86
11 years ago

Hi, I'm completely new to canning. I had a craving for my GM's mustard pickles - which are mostly cauliflower, some onions, probably some cukes, and the sauce. I finally found a recipe that is close, but it has flour. SO, I now see flour is bad - but what do you do instead? Since these are not reheated when used... I bought a pressure canner, but find in my research a lot of confusion. It seems I need a PHD to can. Who knew? I've gone to some recommended links for flour, but still don't see any information there.

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

To quote Carol (readinglady) from a previous discussion about this: There is still one flour-thickened mustard pickle in the Ball Blue Book. Generally flour presents pH and density issues in canning; it's not that it can't be used, it's that little testing has been done to determine the correct processing time to compensate for the properties of the flour. ClearJel is today's preferred thickener. It presents less of a barrier to heat penetration and doesn't break down during heat processing as flour does. So in many regards it's the superior product.

So no you don't need a PhD, just use one of the tested and reliable sources for your canning information rather than random unapproved web sources.

NCHFP is the recognized authority online for canning information, guidelines, recipes, and how-to. From their guidelines come the Ball canning books and several other tested and approved canning books. Stick with those sources and no worries.

If you don't have the Ball Blue Book then one of us will have to post the recipe (pg. 50) for you but it is quite long so you really need to pick one up. They are sold for about $6 anywhere canning supplies are sold.

Dave

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Thank you, Dave!

Carol

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

OK, I'm up for it - I have a Starbucks vanilla latte sitting in front of me and our morning fog hasn't burned off yet so my garden chores are being delayed a little.

But Joyce, I hope you'll pick up the copy of the Ball Blue Book still, and not be looking for recipes in places you may find them untested....

Mustard Pickles Ball Blue Book

1 1/2 lbs 3-4" cucumbers, cut into 1/2" slices
    1 quart green tomato wedges (about 6 medium)
    3 Cups cauliflowerets (about 1 small head)
    3 Cups chopped sweet green peppers (about 3 medium)
    3 Cups chopped sweet red peppers (about 3 medium)
    2 Cups peeled pickling onions
    1 Cup canning salt
    4 Quarts plus 1/2 cup water, divided
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/2 Cup flour
    1 tablespoon turmeric
    1/2 cup prepared mustard
    5 cups vinegar

Combine vegetables in large bowl. Dissolve salt in 4 quarts water. Pour salt water over vegetables, let stand 12 to 18 hours in a cool place.

Drain, rinse and drain thoroughly. Combine sugar, flour, and turmeric in a large sauce-pot. Gradually add 1/2 cup water, stirring until smooth. Stir in mustard and vinegar.

Cook until sauce coats spoon and mixture thickens. Add vegetables, simmer 15 minutes.

Pack hot pickles and liquid into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head-space. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process pints and quarts 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield about 8 pints or 4 quarts.

• Bora555
    9 years ago

Could you use corn starch?
    I have a recipe that uses only 1/2 cup flour along with 2 Tbsp Corn Starch.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

As mentioned above, there is this one, and only this one, approved recipe that includes flour. It does not allow the use of corn starch. Cornstarch breaks down even worse than flour does.

So your choices are 1) use this recipe as written out above or 2) do whatever you wish and accept the risks.

Dave