Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tvq1

Using Roasted Peppers in Salsa?

tvq1
9 years ago

We are planning to make salsa tomorrow, and will be using our usual approved Chile Salsa recipe. We would like to roast the peppers for some added flavor, but wonder about how to measure after roasting to make sure we get the proper amount of peppers.

Has anyone successfully used roasted peppers in their water bathed processed salsa?
Thanks in advance

This post was edited by DianaInIdaho on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 11:59

Comments (4)

• malna
    9 years ago

Is it this one?

Chile Salsa/Hot Tomato-Pepper Sauce
    10 cups peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes
    6 cups seeded, chopped chile peppers (mixture of mild and hot)
    4 cups chopped onions
    1 cup vinegar (5% acid)
    1 tablespoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

NCHFP does say: " Preparing Peppers: The peppers do not need to be peeled, but many may prefer to peel certain types. The skin of long green chiles may be tough and can be removed by heating the peppers. Usually when peppers are finely chopped, they do not need to be peeled. If you choose to peel chiles, slit each pepper along the side to allow steam to escape. Peel using one of these two methods:

Oven or broiler method to blister skins - Place chiles in a hot oven (400ðF) or broiler for 6 to 8 minutes until skins blister.

Range-top method to blister skins - Cover hot burner (either gas or electric) with heavy wire mesh. Place peppers on burner for several minutes until skins blister.

To peel, after blistering skins, place peppers in a pan and cover with a damp cloth. (This will make peeling the peppers easier.) Cool several minutes; slip off skins. Discard seeds and chop."

They don't note any change in measurements if using peeled/chopped vs. raw/chopped. These aren't really "roasted", per se, but they do have a nice flavor (we do ours on the gas grill to get a bit of smoky flavor).

I'd say you could peel them and use the same measurement. I looked in a number of places to see if any of the .edu sites mentioned anything about decreasing the pepper amount, but none did.

For another recipe idea, we have made the Roasted Tomato-Chipotle Salsa in the Ball Complete Book (it's on the Bernardin website, too, if you don't have the book). That uses dried chilies, though, along with roasted tomatoes, onions, garlic, etc. It's excellent.

Hope that helped.

• tvq1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Malna,

We hadn't planned on peeling them--just "roasting" them on our grill to get a smoky flavor, then we would slit them open, seed them and chop them up.

My concern that 6 cups of COOKED chopped peppers would be more peppers (from a weight or original volume standpoint ???) than 6 cups of chopped RAW peppers, and would affect the acidity balance. But this recipe, which we had looked at yesterday, does not seem to make that distinction.

We also looked at the other recipe you mentioned, but it's difficult to find those specific dried chills, and we really don't like our salsa too spicy.

Thanks for you help with this--not sure what we will do!

• malna
    9 years ago

Yeah, I was thinking/hoping I could find some sort of conversion like "If you roast the peppers, you only need X cups, not 6 cups" kind of thing.

So far, I haven't found anything. You would think there would be enough of a difference in the volume that they would have made some sort of note about it. Even blackening and peeling them changes it (in my opinion, anyway).

Sorry I couldn't help more.

• psittacine
    9 years ago

If you have a kitchen scale, weigh it. So, raw, roasted and/or frozen, use the raw weight when you need it.

Hope that is useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weights and measurements of select foods

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville