Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cme10ae

Caramel Pear Butter processing time for pints

cme10ae
10 years ago

This recipe only lists processing time for half pints. Can I use pint jars? How long - I'm thinking 15 minutes but want to make sure.

Caramel Spice Pear Butter

Makes 9 half pints

15 Barlett or other large, firm, ripe pears
2 cups water
6 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Wash and core, but do not peel pears. Slice and place in a 5 qt pot. Add water, cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes or until tender.

Let cool slightly, then force through a mill, sieve or whirl in a food processor until finely chopped; return to kettle.

In a wide frying pan over medium heat, melt 1 1/2 cups of the sugar, stirring often, until it caramelizes to a medium brown syrup. Pour immediately into pear pulp (syrup will sizzle and harden, but dissolves again as the preserves cook). Stir in remaining 4 1/2 cups sugar and spices until well blended.

Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and cook, uncovered for about 45 minutes or until thickened. To prevent sticking, stir frequently as mixture begins to thicken. Stir in lemon juice just before removing from heat. (This step can be done in a crock pot; low setting for 5-7 hours.)
Ladle into hot, sterilized jars leaving 1/4" headspace.

Seal and process in a BWB for 10 minutes.

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

The guidelines read that while you can always reduce the size of the jars called for in a recipe, you can never increase the size of the jar called for.

The recipe was tested only for the jar size indicated and increasing the jar size affects the density of the jar contents far too much to just "guess" at the needed processing time. This guideline applies to all food products.

Dave

• cme10ae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I understand that rule and normally follow it. But I've made pear and apple butters previously using similar recipes where the instructions said pints for 15 minutes. The main differences in those recipes were less sugar and none of it was caramelized.

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

Sounds good! I find that little jars of jams and sweet stuff are nicer, since I can easily use it upon opening without worrying about loosing half of it to long-term fridge storage where it gets dark and moldy. Lost a lot of apple butter that Grandma did in pints to this--so I just learned how and started with half pints. Of course, it is so many more jars, and I seem to be constantly out.

• dgkritch
    10 years ago

Normally, you can't increase the jar size unless instructions are given. IF process times for larger sizes aren't given, there's several reasons. Money for testing, quality of product, or variables in heat penetrations, pH, etc. that prevent proper preservation. You can't assume it's OK.

However.........other than carmelizing part of the sugar, that's a pretty standard pear butter recipe.

What is the source?

I've linked to Oregon State Extension's publication on Pears. Most of the Land Grant colleges have some publications and they are a reliable source. The pear butter is on the last page. You can use pints or quarts and processing time are listed.

Deanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Pear Butter.

• cme10ae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The source is right here on the Harvest Forum:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0700091729863.html
    It's also listed several other places, like Food.com.

Thanks for the link. I've used the Oregon site previously for pear ripening info (very valuable!). Like I said above, I normally don't increase jar size. But it really seemed do-able in this case. I use fruit butters in another Harvest Forum recipe called "Linda Lou's Cereal Bars", and I need more than 8oz for one batch, so the pints work very well. I replace the jam called for with fruit butter - so yummy!

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

other than carmelizing part of the sugar

That is my concern. Caramelizing the sugar is going to affect its water binding capability substantially. Caramelized sugar prevent crystal formation and so reduces H2O binding.

Makes the recipe sufficiently different from the normal recipes to possibly pose a safety factor.

Either way it is a do-at-your-own-risk practice. If I were doing it I'd up the processing time to the 20 min required for pints of pears.

Dave

• malna
    10 years ago

Deanna,
    In response to your question "What is the source?", I did not note who originally posted it years ago, but I did note that it was a recipe from a 1970's Sunset magazine.

To the OP,
    I'm thinking pints would be fine. But like Dave said, I would go another 5 minutes just to be on the safer side. It shouldn't hurt the quality of the butter. It's good stuff - hope you like it as much as we do :-)