Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunky2001

dill pickles from cucumbers

bunky
9 years ago

My hubby just did up about 10 quarts of cucumbers and followed a recipe off of food.com. It said NOT to water process after placing the hot brine over them. It did NOT say these were refrigerator pickles. It said it will fermented in the jars in about 6 weeks but are better after 6 months. I'm a bit concerned about no water bath. Will these be safe to eat? The brine consisted of 1 1/2 cups water, 1/2 cup
vinigar, 1 1/2 tablespoons of pickling salt, 2/3 sprigs of dill seeds, 1-2 garlic cloves, and a hot pepper. Thanks so much for any information.

Comments (10)

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

It sounds very similar to what Linda Ziedrich calls a "new pickle" but her recipe (taken from the "Tastes like Gregg's" recipe I sent her) doesn't use any vinegar (neither does Gregg's). These ARE a refrigerator pickle, and should be eaten within 2 weeks. They are NOT for shelf storage.

BTW, Linda's new pickles are very good, mine did end up fermenting into a half sour after more than a week in the fridge. I'm still trying to duplicate the Gregg's "pickle" which is more of a garlicky, salty (not noticeably dilly) thick-cut "cucumber salad" with the skins left on, that are eaten as finger food.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Pickles on Linda Z's blog

• bunky
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so....If we put them in a hot water bath now...12 hours later, will they be okay to put in the pantry?

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

OK, I just looked up the brine concentration table in The Joy of Pickling. Counting the 1/2C of vinegar as water (which it is 95%) then 2C of water and 1.5 Tbsp vinegar is 5.4% brine which should result in a full sour pickle after 2-4 weeks. The vinegar will inhibit fermentation a little, so maybe more on the 4 week end.

But don't store these capped or you could have a mess on your hands! Put the jars inside a large pan to catch any overflow, and fill quart sized ziploc freezer bags with about 1C each of the same strength brine (4C water, 3 Tbsp salt) and push them down into the necks to keep the cukes submerged. Monitor daily and skim any scum (there usually isn't any) and rinse the bag(s) off then replace.

After these are fully fermented you may can them, but check back here and post a picture of a cuke sliced down the middle so we can see if it's fully fermented (the jars should stop bubbling).

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

food.com has over 1000 "fermented dill pickle" recipes. Can you provide a link to the specific recipe in question? Otherwise it is impossible to answer your question.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

No, there's not enough vinegar in them to safely can them now. It needs to be at least 50% vinegar to be a "quick" pickle, or you have to wait until they are fully fermented.

It would help if you could post a link to the recipe.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

Does this not sound like one of the older open kettle canning dill pickle recipes rather than an actual fermented pickle to anyone else?

The proportions are similar to one I used to make but have not in several years. Bunky, open kettle canning has been discouraged since sometime in the 80's at least - it doesn't meet current food safety guidelines. The vinegar to water ratio isn't strong enough to stop spoilage organisms, shelf/pantry storage, with today's vinegars of 5 %.

• bunky
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the link:

http://www.food.com/recipe/dill-pickles-by-the-jar-101082

my husband said he did use l cup vinigar and 1 cup water
    and 1 Tbs pickling salt......brought it to boil and then put pickling spice on bottom. Poured brine over and sealed them. He said he changed the recipe to that amt.

This post was edited by bunky on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 11:33

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Not sure where to start. First, it is one of those old "ferment-in-a-jar" recipes. Probably ok if done properly and monitored carefully. But no they would not be BWB processed. Totally different kind of pickle.

Second, it is a poorly written recipe as these old ones oftern are. The ingredients list doesn't not jive with the instructions and that often leads to errors. It is vague on jar size and number, and only minimal how-tp fermentation info is given so it isn't a recipe for inexperienced pickle makers.

Third, then he changed the recipe! He reduced the salt which is crucial to safe fermentation. You never cut salt in fermentation recipes. Then he increased the vinegar which stops the fermentation (that probably wasn't going to happen anyway because of the reduced salt).

Poor pickles are in a rock vs. hard place situation - they can't ferment and they can't brine. All they can do is just sit there are and slowly turn yucky.

Personally I'd toss them but the choice is yours.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

They might not be the best quality, but since they were in 50:50 solution and it's been less than 24 hours, could the cucumbers be salvaged? Maybe rinse them off, wash the jars, make up new brine according to an approved recipe, boil it, and process the pickles this time?

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I agree with Dave : TOO much vinegar ; too little salt.
    Other than that:
    That old recipe' is what I use to pickle (cukes, celery, green tomatoes, tomatillo) I have kept it unrefrigerated for about a year once. It just had a bit of white mold on it. One TBspoon of vinegar per quart is enough to provide needed acidity initially and flavor.

ajs wrote :
    "These ARE a refrigerator pickle, and should be eaten within 2 weeks."
    %%%%%%%%%%%
    That is not a pickle, in real traditional sense. It would be like marinated vegetables, in less than 2 weeks.JMO

This post was edited by seysonn on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 17:05