Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
questions about butternut squash

Posted by lroberge 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 10, 06 at 9:27

Greetings! I would appreciate your input and advice on this issue.

I have a bunch of butternut squash in various stages of development and ripening.

Ok, if the winter frost comes and some of them are not quite ripe-some green lines or not tan color yet; is there a way to bring them in to ripen and thus be able to use during the winter months?

I would appreciate any advice on this. I expect that within the next 4 weeks, the season will be over and I would like to collect as much of the squash for winter as possible.

Thank you.

Best wishes.

Lawrence

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: questions about butternut squash

Generally, leave them on the vine until frost. The leaves will start to yellow (mine are now) and the stems will turn tan and crack. Some folks say that a light frost won't hurt them, my experience is that a 'light' frost can sometimes be colder than that and it does do some damage.

We grow several different varieties of winter squash, and I now can keep them until April / May of the following year by washing off the dirt carefully, and leaving them in a light, airy room ( a greenhouse) on newspaper. Leave several inches of stem.

The fruit that isn't completely ripe on the vine will often ripen up in storage, although the amount of flesh might not be that impressive, and the taste not that great.

o
RE: questions about butternut squash

If you want them to keep longer when picked, then a dip in a mild solution of water and chlorine bleach will help to reduce any surface bactera, and will help to prevent them from spoiling. Also, keep in mind that even though they have tough skins, they do bruise easily, just like pumpkins and other hard squashes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here