Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

What to do with 1 qt of ground cherries?

2ajsmama
9 years ago

I've got a 2 lb Orange Minsk and a pint of small (cocktail sized) yellow tomatoes (Golden Queen?) that need to be used ASAP. Also a quart of ground cherries that DD decided she didn't like after all (though DH has been eating them). Any ideas for a salsa using these? I think it would be pretty but since DS and I don't like ground cherries (at first I though they were OK, a little citrusy with nutty aftertaste, but can't eat too many neither can DD, DS thinks they taste "weird") would it ruin the salsa to put them in?

If I don't use the ground cherries in the salsa what can I do with them (picked 9 days ago)? Will they keep another week in the fridge (not that I have much room) for DH?

Comments (10)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Salsa I can't picture - that mix would be yucky IMO. Why do you have to combine them when they all will all be better on their own flavor-wise? Unusual combo dishes tend to fail far more than they work while basic ingredients recipes consistently work and are far more usefull.

But the cherries can make jam easily and can be mixed with other fruits for mixed fruit jam. You can make syrup out of them for dessert toppings. You can also make a pie out of them or turnovers.

The tomatoes can make a good looking yellow/orange tomato sandwich/burger spread just pureed with spices of choice.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Dave - I thought you'd left already? I just know people make salsa out of tomatillos and thought these were similar. I'll look for jam recipe, I don't think 1 qt is enough for pie?

I definitely am going to make salsa or jam out of the yellow tomatoes, that would be beautiful!

Have a great trip!

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Yeah it would be a small pie. :) Leaving Monday AM. NCHFP has a spiced jam recipe.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I only see cherries, "ground cherry" and "ground cherries" aren't giving any results. Do you have a link? Just treat them like cherries (except don't have to pit)?

• malna
    9 years ago

There are some ground cherry recipes in my old Farm Journal canning book. I'll dig those out in a bit and post. They sounded pretty good - I was even considering planting some this year but ran out of space in the garden.

• Anne Wolfley
    9 years ago

I saw a recipe for apple and ground cherry pie. I was considering making it because it was mostly apples. I think ground cherries are delicious...like 2 or 3 of them...then they taste funny. If I make it this weekend I can let you know how it goes.

In my experience, ground cherries last a long time on the counter, and last even longer in the fridge. I had some that sat out on the counter for almost a month (oops). A few of them dried out but they didn't go bad. Amazing.

-Anne

• Anne Wolfley
    9 years ago

P.S. Ground cherries freeze well.

• malna
    9 years ago

Here's Jamlady's recipe for preserves (she says using lemon rind or lemon juice for pectin hides the taste of the ground cherries, so she uses apple instead).

3/4 pound ground cherries
    1 cup water
    1/2 pound sugar
    1/4 pound peeled, thinly sliced, small pieces of apple (or quince)

Boil the sugar, water and apples for 1 minute. Simmer for 2 minutes. Add the husked and washed ground cherries. Simmer until thick enough to set on a frozen plate (no estimated time given). Seal and BWB for 10 minutes. Makes 2 8-ounce jars.

I bought some at the Farmer's Market this morning - hope to make this tomorrow.

Edited to add: My Farm Journal book has been hidden by the house elves - I will find it when I'm not looking for it. And I don't have to bother making preserves tomorrow - DH ate most of them already. I was surprised - I really didn't think he would like them THAT much!

This post was edited by malna on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 18:03

• timbersmith
    9 years ago

I've got a couple of bags in the freezer from last year that I've been looking to do something with, and recently ran across this jam recipe that might just be the thing... might be another option if you're still looking for recipes

Here is a link that might be useful: Ground Cherry Jam

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

I grew them a couple years ago. I ended up making a ground cherry sauce with them - kinda like applesauce. I packaged it in half pint jars. And then used it in place of applesauce in baking (oatmeal-applesauce muffins).