Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattyrocks_gw

too thin apple pie filling

pattyrocks
15 years ago

I put up 6 qts apple pie filling yesterday. I had some apples and liquid left over so I made a pie with it. To my dismay, the filling is very runny. The recipe called for cornstarch (it was specifically for canned pie filling), but to save time, the night before, I put the sugar, cornstarch and spices into a ziplock bag. I have a feeling that too much of the cornstarch "stuck" to the ziplock bag.

My question is, can/should I reprocess the pie filling? I assume that I'll strain the apples out and thicken the liquid, refill the jars and process.

Comments (11)

• readinglady
    15 years ago

Are you saying you canned a pie filling with cornstarch? If so, cornstarch isn't approved for canned pie filling and hasn't been for some time. Aside from the heat penetration issues, the cornstarch breaks down with the application of heat.

I'd recommend you freeze the pie filling.

Carol

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Link below is to the approved apple pie filling recipe for canning. As Carol said, your recipe isn't safe for canning if it calls for cornstarch and hasn't been for many years but you may freeze it if you wish.

I don't understand the part about the ziplock bag contents and canned apple pie filling. How are the 2 related? Making changes in any recipe, especially an unapproved one, to 'save time' usually leads to poor results and sometimes unsafe results. ;)

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canned apple pie filling

• pattyrocks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the followup, I'll freeze it.
    I mixed the dry ingredients (sugar, cornstarch, spices)in a ziplock bag the night before, then added to the water the following day for the syrup. Sorry for the confusion.

• gran2
    15 years ago

I understood the part about the zip lock perfectly. I've used that recipe long ago myself, and wasn't pleased with the result, even before cornstarch became a no-no. The new recipe with clear-jel is far superior product, and, of course, safe. Do a search on this site for the recipes for peach, apple and cherry. They're slightly different. We use the pie fillign for other things, too, like with pancakes and waffles, just as a side for a brunch or with ham. over meat as a hearty glaze, etc.

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Home canning doesn't use regular unstable cornstarch as a thickener, flour, and Tapoika are also out. You should be using a much more stable (keeps things thickened) by using CLEAR GEL modifued food starch. Its a modified corn starch that has been used many years by the commercial industry and now has been also used in home canning with excellent results. Since that time, there has also been a newer product for freezing thickened foods. Its called Freezer Flo, but is now known as Therm Flo. It cvan remain stable if frozen, thawed, and refozen again. If you freeze apple slices, they will oxidize and turn brown in a short time. Usually freezing apples, peaches, will require ascorbic acid, which helps to prevent oxidation. I use cooked down apple cider for any add liquid, or better yet, a can of undiluted frozen apple juice.

• joy_unspeakable
    15 years ago

This will probably sound like a very ignorant question, but here I go - How do I make the apple pie using the apple pie filling? The filling sounds simple enough to make. Does it take one quart of pie filling to make the pie?

(Be gentle - I've never made a pie that didn't have to be defrosted from the box!)

• readinglady
    15 years ago

We'll try to be gentle, LOL.

Do you have questions about the pie crust or can you handle that? (Or maybe are buying prepared pie crust?)

Otherwise, basically you roll out the bottom crust, pour in the pie filling, add butter (optional - if desired - I never use butter in fruit pies), add the top crust and cut slits and just bake per the usual directions. (Pretty much the same as for "boughten" pies).

My problem with canned filling is I don't think it's enough fruit for my taste. I like my pies "plump." I usually make two pies (bake one, freeze one) and use 3 quarts of filling for the two.

If this doesn't cover it, let us know. (You could always just skip the crust, get a dish, add some ice cream, pour the filling over as topping and go straight to the "good stuff.") Also nice layered with yogurt for breakfast.

Carol

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

No probs. It would always depend on the pie pan size. The 8 inch shallow type (store bought sizes), usually take about a quart of filling. I have a nine inch, deep type stainless steel pan with drip edge. It takes nearly 2 quarts of filling. I just finished it last night. The easiest pie crust are the rolled up ones in suppermarkets. You allow them to go to room temp, unroll, and place one crust in the pie pan, and lightly pres it in. Cut off any that overhangs the edges out to the rim. Then, smear soft margerine or butter on the inside bottom of the crust so it will not get soggy when its filled and baked. Add the filling, then place the top crust on. Wipe the edges with a water soaked paper towel where its to be sealed. I don't bother folding over/under the top crust at the edges, but instead, trim off the excess around the edges out to the rim. I use the tines of a fork to press a seal all around the edges. Then, I wipe the top with water and sprinkle a little granulated sugar on it. Cut a small hole in the top crust near the middle for steam to vent.
    Here, because my pie pans are bigger and deeper, I use two packages of crust. I unroll one, wipe it with water (using a wet paper towel), then carefully place a second crust on top of it. I use flour nd a rolling pin to roll it out a little larger, so it will fit my big pan. I do the same with the top crust, using the two remaining rolls of dough. I bake at about 425, for about an hour, or until lightly brown. Becuase the fork crimped edges tend to darken fast, I make a long strip of aluminium foil to wrap around the edges, so it will prevent too much browning at first. Once it all starts to brown on top slightly, I remove the foil from around the edges. If sugar is used, be prepared as it can boil over, so place foil under neath the pan. Because I use Splenda as a sweetener as it doesn't boil over or burn like sugar does.

• joy_unspeakable
    15 years ago

Thank you Carol.

I imagine I'll be using prepared pie crust. (I plan to work on my baking skills this winter! But one thing at a time I guess).

I checked the site Dave posted for the apple pie filling and wasn't sure if it was just as simple as pouring a quart of filling into the crust and baking. So thank you for answering my question. I like the idea of doing two at a time with 3 quarts and freezing one.

Do you have an apple pie filling recipe that you prefer?

Thanks again - going to give it a try!

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Do you have an apple pie filling recipe that you prefer?

Yeah, the link I gave is how to make the apple pie filling IF you want to can it. That is the recipe you want to use for making the filling for canning. Not the pie itself. ;)

If you just want to make an apple pie (no canning) then you can use any of 100 different recipes to make the filling.

Dave

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

I use 10 inch deep Pyrex pie pans for apple pies.
    Here's my filling recipe for traditional deep dish apple pie.

Pre Heat Oven to 425 degrees

8 Cups McIntosh Apples, peeled, cored, and cut in chunks
    1 Cup Sugar (Refined White or Raw)
    1/3 Cup Flour
    1Tablespoon Ground Nutmeg
    1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
    1 Teaspoon Salt

Toss above together well in a bowl, line bottom crust in pie pan, put in filling, ( it will seem really high, but the apples cook down), dot with butter or omit, take a pastry brush and brush water along the pie pan edge for the "glue" of the top crust put on the top crust, crimp the edges of the top and bottom crust, make slits in top crust.

Bake 40 to 50 minutes.

Hint: Easy measure of the apples is usually a 10 # bag of apples makes one pie.

Pie Crust recipe I can post later. Mine is a very easy one for either all white or whole wheat. The key to a great pie crust is not to make it tough.( a lesson in its self)