Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

Experimenting with Tomato Syrup

pixie_lou
11 years ago

Over the past 2 weeks I have processed 120 lbs of slicer tomatoes into sauce. To minimize the amount of time I had to boil down the sauce to the right consistency, I drained off a lot of the tomato water. After canning 50+ pints of "tomato broth", I still have a pot with about 5 quarts of tomato water left. I was thinking of experimenting with a tomato syrup.

I figured I would use the typical recipe for fruit syrup - 2 parts liquid to 1 part sugar, then boil to 219. But I'm wondering about acidification. Can I acidify the tomato broth before I add the sugar? Or should I acidify the individual jars? I was planning to acidify with red wine vinegar.

Any thoughts as to how I should go about doing this. I was going to put the pot on the stove shortly to start boiling down the tomato water - trying to concentrate the flavor a bit more before I add sugar.

For all of you thinking - gross, tomato syrup on panacakes or ice cream. I'm thinking of using the syrup in savory applications - mixing the tomato syrup with oil and vinegar to make a vinagrette for salad. Or maybe drizzle the syrup over baguettes with goat cheese. Or maybe add a bit to brighten up the dressing of pasta salad.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer