Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Pound of Tomatoes = about Two Cups Chopped?

Posted by zabby17 z5/6 Ontario (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 17, 08 at 10:08

In honour of Annie's nuptials, I'm making salsa today!

About half the tomatoes I'm using are ones I picked & froze before I went away last week. I've used frozen tomatoes for plain sauce before but never for salsa, and I'm asking for a double-check on quantity. Since I froze the toms whole and they're now all deflated and have a lot of liquid drained from them just from my peeling, they're clearly not candidates for chopping and measuring like raw ones.

I weighed them before freezing, however. Based on a number of recipes in the Ellie Topp book, in which she says, for example, "eight cups of chopped tomatoes (about four pounds)", I get the idea that a pound of toms is about two cups chopped---so to get eight cups chopped for a batch of Annie's salsa I would use four pounds, and the six pounds I froze are the equivalent of about 12 cups, or a batch and a half.

Does that sound right to y'all? Anyone ever do a weight/volume comparison themselves?

Thanks,

Zabby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Got It!

OK, I answered my own question on some old threads. (I did try a search before asking but didn't find anything first try. Those who have grumbled about the GW search engine are correct!) But with some poking around I found both a link to the Ball conversion estimates and the amounts that tanya got last winter when we discussed the comparison.

Yeah, two cups for a pound seems about right. Whee! Off to make salsa.

Z

o
RE: A Pound of Tomatoes = about Two Cups Chopped?

I tried (I really did) to convert Annie's measurements to weight. I have an old colander that holds eight cups of chopped tomatoes (as best I can determine) and weighed four different batches for salsa. Weights ranged from 3 lbs. 8 ozs. to over 5 pounds, so I just gave up...if I go back to the "just fill the colander, slightly mounded up" method, I get 7 pints of salsa spot on every time. DH doesn't appreciate that, because there is never any left over for him to eat (and he's not allowed to taste along the way, because there wouldn't be any left to put in the jars).

o

Because of the differences in water content, weights of liquids will never be as consistant as will dry ingredients.

o

I also measure my chopped tomatoes by the colander full. I place the colander in a large stock pot, place the chopped tomatoes is as I chop them and let the juices run into the stock pot. I also press the tomatoes to extract more juice. I put the juice on and simmer it down until my salsa is ready to can then add it in. This makes the sauce and I don't have to add store bought stuff. I cook down my salsa for about 45 minutes and almost always get 9 pints. Just what my PC holds.

o

Whenever I have made Annie's Salsa I have measured the tomatoes after draining them. Hmm, wonder if we would like it as much if I did it differently.

-Robin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here