Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zabby17

Bring Out Your Soups and Stews!

zabby17
15 years ago

Fall is in the air---and on the calendar. It's the equinox, which means two things: my first wedding anniversary, and time to bring out the soup and stew recipes!

Inspired by jude's request for the recipes I used to fill my new-mom sister's freezer, I am starting a thread that asks for your fave soup & stew recipes. They don't have to be canning ones; any good recipe (they surely all use a harvest of some kind, so we're on topic!). It would help if you mentioned if they freeze well, if you know.

I LOVE to make a big batch of something hearty and tasty, filling the house with yummy smells, then freeze it in portions so as to be able to grab one for a supper some night I don't feel like cooking.

Here are the two jude asked for to start it off:

POTATO-LEEK-CORN BISQUE

4 Tbsp butter or safflower oil

2 cups chopped leeks

4 Tbsp flour

4 cups water or stock

3 cups cubed raw potatoes

1 tsp salt

ground pepper

3 cups milk

1 cup corn

1/2 cup diced red pepper

Saute the leeks till soft. Sprinkle with flour. Cook a minute or two, then add water/stock, potatoes, salt, pepper.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer (covered) for 15 minutes. Puree or mash (I use a blender; you can use a potato masher for a chunkier soup). Return to the pot. Add corn & peppers and cook 5 minutes more.

Add milk. Heat gently for a few minutes (DON'T return to boil).

**Freezes well. You can freeze it before adding the milk and it takes less room. A dollop of cream and a few chives added at serving time makes it ultra-special.

**I made it with just-dug new potatoes from the Halifax Farmers' Market, with thin, curling-off-themselves peels, so I didn't even peel them; the result is a great flavour but a somewhat beige soup; for fancy company I would peel and have a more attractive pale colour.

**This is a slight adaptation of from _Mrs. Restino's Country Kitchen_ by Susan Restino (Bolinas, CA: Shelter Publications, 1996), a lovely Nova Scotia cookbook. She gives a recipe for a basic Potato bisque (uses everything above but the corn & peppers, and calls for one cup of onion where I used two cups of leek). It can then be adapted into corn chowder, fish chowder, asparagus bisque, etc.

JAMAICAN PEPPERPOT STEW

This is a fave of my husband's. I made it for him the first time he came to visit me, when we were living 1500 miles apart and were only a few months into a long-distance courtship. His plane arrived just before dinnertime and I served him this with freshly made rosemary foccaccia bread. After a few bites, he looked at me with his big, brown eyes and said, "I can't tell you how strong the temptation is to propose to you right this moment."

He didn't (it was only the second time we'd met in person!)---but he moved up to Toronto to be with me within the year. We always call it "Proposal Stew." Last year when we finally got organized enough to plan a wedding, I told him I wouldn't need to make the stew for him any more once I had a ring. He threatened to call off the marriage. ;-)

1 Tbsp vegetable oil

2 lbs beef stewing cubes

6 slices bacon, chopped [I find 2 or 3 is enough]

2 onions, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

4 cups water

1/4 cup tomato paste

1 tsp dried thyme

1/2 tsp each salt and pepper

2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed

1 each sweet red and green pepper, chopped [I use all red]

1 Tbsp wine vinegar

[I often use the last dregs of a bottle of wine from a dinner party a few days before]

1 tsp hot pepper sauce (or to taste)

-- In large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over high heat; brown beef in batches & transfer to plate.

-- Add bacon to pan; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until crisp. Drain off fat. Add onions and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened.

-- Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add stock & water; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Return beef and any juices to pan; add tomato paste, thyme, salt and pepper.

-- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.

-- Add sweet potatoes and red and green peppers; cook, covered, for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. [Freezes well at this point; reheat to continue.]

-- Stir in vinegar and hot pepper sauce.

Makes about 16 cups (8 to 10 servings). About 300 calories and 10 g of fat per serving.

** from _Canadian Living_ Magazine

Comments (50)

• gran2
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Soups certainly are on the agenda this week, but because the garden is producing little dribs and drabs of stuff. I found 5 ears of corn that will pass, a head of cabbage, just a couple of quarts of green beans, tail end of the limas, carrots and plenty of tomatoes. Voila! Vegetable soup. It's different every time, and that's just fine. I cook the veggies in bouillon, then add the peeled and chunked tomatoes. Makes a huge pot because you jsut keep finding more stuff to dump in. You have to process for the longest vegetable, of course, which is about an hour, but this is so basic shelf staple and so good in the winter. Adding a little scrap meat or ground beef or even sausage is easy when you open the jar, and I even can it a little dense and add more water after opening. I have a real problem with canning water.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

OK, Zabby, it's soup time here too, it was cool enough this morning to turn on my heater, i.e. in the 40s.

I like lentils, and so this is one of my favorites. I use my own home canned beef broth, usually.

Lentil and Sausage Soup
    Yield: 12 cups (3L)
    Servings: 8
    One of the best lentil soups youll ever taste! Prepare in a crockpot or simmer over the stove. Can be made without the sausage for a vegetarian version.
    Ingredients
    1 cup (255g) lentils, uncooked
    1/2 pound (230g) turkey kielbasa sausage, cut into 1-inch (2.5cm) pieces
    1 cup (180g) onion, chopped
    1 cup (150g) celery, chopped
    1 cup (150g) carrots, chopped
    1 cup (180g) potato, diced
    2 Tbsp (5g) parsley
    6 cups beef broth, (canned or made with bouillion) (1.5L)
    1/2 tsp (2g) black pepper
    1/8 tsp (1g) nutmeg
    Directions
    Wash and drain lentils. Spray a large pot with vegetable oil spray and brown sausage.
    Add onion and cook until translucent.
    Add remaining ingredients and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
    Note: If using a crockpot, place all raw ingredients in the pot and simmer all day, stirring occasionally.
    Nutrition Facts
    Calories: 246
    Total Fat: 8g
    % Calories from fat: 29%
    Protein: 19g
    Carbohydrate: 24g
    Cholesterol: 19mg
    Sodium: 1288mg

Antlers is a local northern Michigan restaurant and they make this soup:

Antlers Wild Rice Soup
    1/2 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained
    3 14-ounce cans chicken broth or 5 1/4 cups homemade chicken stock
    1 cup chopped carrot
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    2 T butter
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 cup whipping cream (I used half and half)
    2 cups chopped cooked chicken (I used turkey)
    Snipped fresh chives (optional)
    1. In 4 qt. Dutch oven, combine uncooked wild rice, 2 cans broth, carrot, celery and onion. Bring to boiling; reduce heat, simmer 35 to 40 minutes or until the rice is tender but still chewy, adding mushrooms the last 5 minutes of cooking.
    2. In medium saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour, salt and pepper. Add the remaining 1 can of broth. Cook and stir until bubbly for 1 minute more; stir in the cream. Add cream mixture to rice mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken, heat through. Garnish each serving with chives.
    364 cal., 24 grams fat, 109 mg chol. 1016 mg sodium, 20 g carbo, 2 g fiber and 20 g pro.

and, of course, since I married a southern boy, I have to make "beans and greens". Can you tell from the narrative that the recipe came from Eating Well? (grin)

Black Eyed Pea Soup with Ham and Greens

Our Black Eyed Pea Soup with Ham and Greens not only smells and tastes great, it packs a powerful nutritional punch! The collard greens, which are a type of cabbage, are an excellent source of vitamins A and C plus calcium and iron. Select greens that are crisp and bright. Avoid any that are yellowing or wilted. The high protein Black-eyed peas add great taste, texture and color. Try serving a pot of this soup with a skillet of corn bread and a bowl of honey butter for a homey, satisfying meal.

Prep time: 10 minutes
    Cook time: 35 minutes
    Makes 6 servings

Ingredients:
    4 tablespoons CRISCO Vegetable Oil
    2 medium onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
    1/2 pound cooked ham, diced
    1 pound collard greens, stems and ribs removed, finely chopped
    1 14-ounce can chicken broth
    5 cups water
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    2 16-ounce black-eyed peas (about 1-1/2 cups)
    2 teaspoons cider vinegar
    Preparation:

In a large saucepan, heat Crisco Oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot and ham. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft. Add collards, broth, water, bay leaf and crushed red pepper flakes to the pan and simmer until greens are tender, about 25 minutes.

Rinse and drain black-eyed peas. In a medium mixing bowl mash one can of peas. Stir mashed and remaining whole peas into soup and simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; stir in vinegar.

Annie

• dgkritch
    15 years ago

I made a rough version of Roasted Tomato Garlic soup(not canned).

I used my Sungold toms, carrots, red pepper, garlic, onion.
    And homemade turkey broth.
    Just froze/refrigerated for eating this week. Delicious, if a little "orange" for tomato soup!

I make Yellow Squash Soup for eating fresh too.

YELLOW SQUASH SOUP WITH SOUR CREAM AND CHIVES (12 servings)
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
    3 lbs. yellow (summer) squash, sliced
    3 large onions, sliced
    1 tablespoon dried thyme, crumbled
    6 cans (14 1/2 oz.) low-salt chicken broth
    sour cream & minced fresh chives for garnish
    Melt butter in a large heavy pot over medium low heat. Add squash, onions & thyme. Cook until tender (approx. 30 minutes). Puree (a hand-held immersion blender makes quick work of this). Can be made one day ahead and refrigerated at this point.
    To serve, bring soup to a simmer, ladle into bowls. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with chives.

Very good! I added salt a pepper to taste!

Deanna

• brokenbar
    15 years ago

Roasted Pepper & Tomato Soup
    2 sweet red peppers
    6 cups tomatoes, chopped (2 - 28 oz. cans, undrained)
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 cloves garlic
    salt
    pepper
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    4 tablespoons butter
    1 yellow Bell Pepper cut into rings (garnish)
    Sour Cream (garnish)
    Grill the peppers, turning frequently, until blackened all over.
    Peel off the skin.
    Gently wipe or scrape off any remaining black stuff from the outside. Cut open and discard seeds and white insides.
    Do not wash as this will flush away much of the flavour.
    Puree peppers and tomatoes in a blender or food processor.
    Strain out seeds. I use my own jars of tomato sauce that has no seeds.
    Place pepper/tomato mixture in a saucepan.
    Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for about 25 minutes.
    Add remaining ingredients except butter.
    Simmer uncovered for 15 - 20 minutes.
    Remove from heat. Set pan in ice water and gradually whisk in butter.
    Cool, cover and refrigerate overnight. Next day, heat gently, garnish with yellow bell pepper ring with a dollop of sour cream inside ring and serve. Note: This soup is quite mild.
    Some people might like to add a little zing, like maybe a dash of Tabasco.

• jude31
    15 years ago

Thanks so much Zabby, I can't wait to try all these wonderful soups, particularly the Jamaican Pepperpot stew. It is so different and sounds yummy. I'm sending a couple of recipes I've used for years and my family loves them. Hope y'all do too.

Hearty Vegetable Soup

Combine: 3 qts. boiling water
    2 pkgs. Dried onion soup mix
    Leftover roast beef, steak etc.
    Let boil 25-30 min. then add:
    1 16 oz. can tomato sauce
    1 16 oz. can tomatoes, cut up
    1 teas. ea. dried marjoram, basil, pepper and
    parsley flakes
    1 T. salt, 1 T celery flakes or 2 or more large
    stalks celery (cut up) the more the better.
    2 bay leaves and 1/2 teas. garlic powder

Let this cook 15 min. then add:
    1 lg. bag frozen mixed veg.
    1 box frozen cut okra
    This is where you can get creative with whatever you may have in your freezer. Let all cook, covered, 2 -3 hrs. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

Note: I keep bits of leftover veg., roast beef, etc. in a zip-loc bag in the freezer so what I add depends on my "soup bag' and is never quite the same but always good.

Hungry Man's Stew

Brown together: 1 lb. ground chuck, 1/4 lb. hot pork sausage, 2 lg. chopped onions.
    Add: 1/4 teas. cayenne pepper, 1 teas. garlic salt, 2 C. crushed canned tomatoes, 2 C. water, 1 1/2 teas. worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 2 hours. Last 30 min. add 3 med potatoes, diced and 1 16 oz can cream style corn. Salt to taste.

If you need to stretch the recipe to feed more, just add more potatoes. I serve this with cornbread and cole slaw.

Enjoy!

• zabby17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ooh, thanks folks, these all sound FABULOUS!

jude, that hungry man's stew sounds like it would snag my husband in a moment...

Keep 'em coming....

Zabby

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Mmmmmm ... they all sound good, and I'm definitely printing out the one for the Lentil & Sausage Soup!

Here is my contribution:

CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP

1 package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 large green pepper, chopped
    2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
    2 cans diced tomatoes (or 6 fresh tomatoes, skinned and choppped)
    1 can Rotel (or other brand of diced tomatoes and green chilies)
    1 can diced green chilies (hot or mild, depending on your heat tolerance)
    2 Tbsp chili powder
    1 Tbsp ground cumin
    1 tspn salt
    1/2 tspn black pepper
    Juice of one lime
    1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 quarts of chicken broth
    1 lb. bag of frozen corn
    4 to 6 carrots, sliced
    Tortilla chips
    Monterey Jack cheese

Chop chicken into 3/4" pieces. Saute in oil until chicken cooked through. Add onion and green pepper. Cook until onions are tender (translucent). Add all other ingredients. Cook for at least an hour, until carrots are tender. Place coursely broken tortilla chips in soup bowl, pour soup over top, and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Serves 8

* Also good with cornbread muffins instead of tortilla chips

Enjoy!
    Bonnie

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Zabby...first Happy Anniversary :)

Second, Your 'Proposal Soup' sounds superb, but I was reading the instructions and it says Add stock & water; bring to boil. but I dont see how much stock in the ingredients list...I am so dying to try this so I was wondering how much stock to use ... :)

Third...Everyones soups all sound fabulous!!!

• joy_unspeakable
    15 years ago

Let's bump this back up (I need more soup recipes!)

All of these sound great. Anyone have a recipe for Chicken Stew? I had it once after a bonfire cooked in a big kettle. The best way I can describe it is like Oyster Stew but with chicken. It had a milk base and a little kick.

Thanks all!

• readinglady
    15 years ago

I just made a Garden Minestrone. It's one of those flexible recipes which uses whatever's in the garden. It can be meaty or meat-free. This makes a very big batch but extra can be frozen.

There are some measurements, but basically it's an exercise in improvisation.

If using meat, brown 1/2 pound ground beef and/or 4 slices bacon.

Saute a chopped onion or two in the rendered fat or if meatless, use olive oil. When the onion is soft and sweet add 3 or 4 minced garlic cloves. Saute briefly.

Add 6-8 cups of cut-up prepared vegetables. I used zucchini, crookneck, green beans, sweet bell pepper and corn, all garden-gathered.

When all vegetables are sauteed to the tender point, add 2 quarts of beef broth or vegetarian broth or water.

Add 1 pint of fresh or home-canned shell beans or commercial kidney beans.

Add a bouquet garni of fresh bay leaf, thyme, marjoram, oregano, whatever's in the garden. Don't go overboard if you use rosemary.

If your soup is vegetarian, add a good chunk of Parmesan rind. (It doesn't hurt with meat either.)

Cook mixture at least 30 minutes until flavors are melded.

Add tomatoes. If you have fresh, blanch, skin and chop. If not canned tomatoes and/or sauce may be used.

Add shredded cabbage, kale, spinach or other leafy green. Toss in a good handful or two of small shell pasta or other small pasta. Again, cook until tender. More simmering doesn't hurt.

At the end stir in a generous spoonful of Pesto. Salt and pepper as desired.

Serve with good bread.

Carol

• zabby17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carol,

Mmm. Perfect recipe for September! Thanks!

sunnyk,

Sorry!

There is an item from the ingredients list missing: should be 6 cups of beef stock as well as 4 cups of water.

I actually used to make it with just the stock, no extra water, because my pot wasn't big enough. So it would be quite a thick stew. If you use the whole 10 cups total of liquid it's closer to a very hearty, super-chunky soup.

Apologies, everyone!

Here is the

CORRECTED RECIPE
    JAMAICAN BEEF PEPPERPOT (a.k.a. "Zabby's Proposal Stew")

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
    2 lbs beef stewing cubes
    6 slices bacon, chopped [I find 2 or 3 is enough]
    2 onions, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    6 cups beef stock
    4 cups water
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    1 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
    2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1 each sweet red and green pepper, chopped [I use all red]
    1 Tbsp wine vinegar
    [I often use the last dregs of a bottle of wine from a dinner party a few days before]
    1 tsp hot pepper sauce (or to taste)

-- In large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over high heat; brown beef in batches & transfer to plate.
    -- Add bacon to pan; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until crisp. Drain off fat. Add onions and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened.
    -- Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add stock & water; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Return beef and any juices to pan; add tomato paste, thyme, salt and pepper.
    -- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
    -- Add sweet potatoes and red and green peppers; cook, covered, for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. [Freezes well at this point; reheat to continue.]
    -- Stir in vinegar and hot pepper sauce.

Makes about 16 cups (8 to 10 servings). About 300 calories and 10 g of fat per serving.

** from _Canadian Living_ Magazine

• greekbecky
    15 years ago

Hi Brokenbar:

I love this Red Pepper Soup recipe! Do you think it can be made and frozen?

Thanks!

• pat_t
    15 years ago

Hey everyone - I don't post over here very much - I spend most of my time over at the cooking forum. I can't participate much, as I'm stretched pretty thin being a full-time Culinary student, part-time marketing assistant, and I am doing a 200-hr. externship this semester in a local cafe too.

Here's my contribution to the soup recipes:

CHEESEBURGER CHOWDER

3/4 lb. lean ground beef
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    3/4 cup shredded carrots
    3/4 cup chopped celery
    1 tsp. dried basil
    1 tsp. dried parsley
    6 cups chicken broth
    2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and diced
    3 Tblsp. butter or margarine
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 lb. Velveeta cheese, cubed
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper

Cook ground beef in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat about 3 minutes, stirring until meat crumbles. Add onion, carrots, celery, basil, and parsley and sauté 4 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Drain well. Return beef mixture to Dutch oven
    Stir in chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
    Melt 3 Tblsp. butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Gradually stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until flour is lightly browned. Whisk flour mixture into simmering beef mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes or until thickened.
    Whisk in cheese, salt, and pepper just until cheese melts. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Serve with a good crusty bread. Yield: 10 cups.

Adapted by me from a recipe in the December, 2004 issue of Southern Living magazine.

**The original recipe called for the addition of 1-1/2 cups of milk - I left it out completely (by mistake!) and LOVED it.

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

I have a load of squash this year and am trying to find recipes for using it. Does anyone have a good recipe for Butternut Squash soup? I've heard it's really good but have never tried it. Nows the time! Thanks. Marg

• brokenbar
    15 years ago

GreekBecky, I make huge batches and freeze in vaccum bags that I can then just pop in the microwave. It freezes very well and the flavor does really improve over time (that's why you wait 24 hours.) We do a huge five course meal for all of our stallion owners every year. I serve this soup. I did another soup one year and everyone complained! (that was a tortellini and spinach soup that they all loved but they just missed the tomato/pepper!)

• pat_t
    15 years ago

Marric - here's one, but you'll have to cut it down in size, I'm sure.

BUTTERNUT SQUASH CHOWDER

12 slices smoked bacon
    5 lb. yellow onions, diced
    10 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, cubed
    3 gal. chicken stock
    4 Bay leaves
    1 tsp. fresh thyme
    1 tsp. nutmeg, ground
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. white pepper
    1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 cup honey
    1 qt. heavy cream
    2 cups corn
    2 lb. yellow-skinned potatoes, cubed
    1 cup chives or scallions, finely sliced

In stockpot, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon; reserve. Sauté onions in bacon fat. Add 8 lb. butternut squash, chicken stock, bay leaves, thyme, nutmeg, salt, white and cayenne peppers and honey. Simmer 1 hour. Remove bay leaves. Puree.

Add cream, corn, potatoes and remaining 2 lb. squash. Simmer until chunks are tender.

Garnish with chives and crumbled bacon. Yield: 5 gallons.

Recipe by Chef Tony Mandella.

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

Thanks Pat. It sounds delicious! I wonder if you could make it and freeze or can some if there is to much? Marric

• brokenbar
    15 years ago

Tortellini, Sausage & Baby Spinach Soup
    2 links sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
    1 cup chopped onions
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    5 cups beef stock
    1/3 cup water
    1/2 cup red wine
    4 tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
    1 cup chopped carrots
    8 oz fresh or frozen spinach
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 cup tomato sauce
    1 zucchini, chopped
    8 ounces cheese tortellini
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese for topping

Place the sausage in a large pot over medium high heat and saute for 10 minutes, or until well browned. Drain the fat except for about 1 tablespoon, add the onions and garlic and saute for 5 more minutes.
    Next add the beef stock, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, skimming any fat that may surface.
    Add the zucchini, tortellini, green bell pepper, spinach and parsley to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until tortellini is fully cooked. Pour into individual bowls and garnish with the cheese.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Thanks Pat. It sounds delicious! I wonder if you could make it and freeze or can some if there is to much? Marric

You can freeze it but you can't can it.

Dave

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

Thanks Dave.

• readinglady
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. I have a month of soups here, starting with the Potato-Leek Bisque and the Squash and Sour Cream with Chives (perfect for the last of the garden crooknecks).

Forget cutting-and-pasting. I'm saving the entire thread to my computer.

Carol

• jude31
    15 years ago

Hey Carol, would you care to explain in detail how to save the entire thread to my computer? I'm just learning a little bit about saving to my computer. I seem to recall someone telling how to do that but I don't remember where I read it and at that time it was all Greek to me.

Thanks, Jude

• melva02
    15 years ago

Here's one of my favorite recipes ever, from my friend Matt. I have preserved his charming misspelling.

Vegetarian Chili:

Saute in some oil til translucent: 3-4 coarsely chooped onion
    Then add: 6 or more finely chooped cloves of garlic

Then stirring constantly, add:

1 - 1.5 tblsp chili powder AND cumin
    1 tsp oregano
    1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    +/- 2 bay leaves
    1 c bulghur

Then dump in:

2-3 cans black or kidney beans
    1 large can whole tomatoes, chopped with juice
    3 c or a tomato can full of water
    +/- 1 tbsp soy sauce

and simmer till thick & fragrant.

Then serve topped with:
    shredded cheddar
    bottle of hot sauce
    corn chips ringing the bowl
    sour cream

I cook dried beans in the crock pot first. 1 can = 1.75 cups so I use about 1.5 cups dry, I think. I like black and pinto. And I buy cans of diced tomatoes instead of whole. 1/4 tsp cayenne leaves it pretty mild; the flavor is pretty complex so I don't need much heat at all here. Of course you could use fresh hot peppers, or chipotles for a much fruitier and smokier heat.

Delicious with cornbread.

Melissa

• greekbecky
    15 years ago

Hi BrokenBar:

Thank you for the freezing advice!

I am making BOTH of your soups tomorrow! I am very excited about having these for a cold winter day...which is coming upon us fast....:)

• readinglady
    15 years ago

OK. I hope this makes sense.

1. Go back to the Harvest Forum main page that lists all the threads.

2. Say you wanted to save the thread Little Green Apples. Right-click on that thread. Assuming you're using some version of Windows, when you right-click, on the menu you'll see Save Target As . . ..

3. Select (click on) that command. You'll get a Window. At the top it will show Save In. You can either select a folder you already have on your computer or you can create a new folder. I've created a folder called Harvest Forum to save threads from here. Then, even if a thread drops off, I still have it.

4. Once you've decided on a folder, then you'll see at the bottom of the window File Name. In the box will be some gibberish like msg0911342918061. Click on that and you can change the name to something that makes sense to you like Little Green Apples.

5. Be sure the window below the name says Save As Type: HTML Document. Hit Save and you're done.

Explaining it takes a lot longer than doing it. Once you've done it a couple of times it gets really fast and easy.

Carol

• brokenbar
    15 years ago

GreekBecky, when you get ready to defrost and re-heat the tortellini soup you may have to add a bit more broth as the tortellini suck up a lot of moisture. I store it in vacuum bags that I can throw in the microwave in a pinch. This is a really hearty soup and my family loves it in the winter. I try to keep something in the crock pot all the time for my hubby's lunch. He has a mobile mechanic business so he is out in that terrible weather all winter long.

• jude31
    15 years ago

Hey Carol,
    I decided early on, after I stumbled on this blog (I hope that's the right term) that I have inadvertantly fallen in with a group of the nicest, most patient and helpful people ever. I just yesterday learned a little about the cut, paste and copy procedure and your instructions worked perfectly. I am grateful.
    Jude

• readinglady
    15 years ago

I'm so glad it worked for you, Jude. It can be difficult to explain these kinds of things, but it's really handy to know how to do. It puts the entire thread at your fingertips and is much speedier than cut-and-paste of individual posts.

Carol

• gran2
    15 years ago

Carol -- do you ever can your minnestrone? Looking particularly for recipes that can be saved this way Thanks.

• readinglady
    15 years ago

No. This one I freeze. To can it I'd have to be much more precise in the solids to liquid ratio and we like this soup thick, more akin to a stew. Also I'd have to add pasta after, leave out the Parmesan rind, etc. I'd rather just wing it.

(Besides, I've run out of jars. Just enough for canning squash and that's it.)

Carol

• zabby17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jude, you're doing great!

Just so you can sound really savvy when you talk to your daughters, this is technically an "online forum," since we all have equal posting rights.

A "blog" tends to be more something that one person writes and posts regularly, a bit like a column in a newspapter but usually more informal. (IT's short for "web log," the idea being that you are keeping an ongoing log of your life, or some aspect of it.) There is often a place on the website where a blog is posted where other people can comment, so discussions inspired by the blog among various folks might ensue, but the posts of the "blogger" is the main attraction.

At a forum it's more of a free-for-all---but once in a while out of the chaos comes, as we've found here at Harvest, something of a community. Glad you could join us!

Now, to see what a blog looks like (and to get this post technically on topic), why not go check out the one kept by our own joybugaloo, who "blogs" about food-related things under the title "Lindsay's Luscious." Click on the link below to see it!

Cheers,
    Zabby

• zabby17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Another stew to share!

This weekend my nephew and his partner came out to visit. It was a very food-centric weekend---we visited the local food fair (his partner is studying to be a professional pastry chef) and several farm stands, I showed off my canner ("cool big pot you got there, Aunt Elizabeth!") by putting up some yellow tomato sauce, we celebrated nephew's birthday with the brunch buffet at the pub, and we indulged on Saturday night with a lovely rotisserie herbed chicken from the gourmet store. But the one night I cooked, looking for something tasty yet simple, do-ahead, and hearty to feed these always-hungry young people, I made this chili recipe. It's a mild one (you can always add hot sauce), with a bit of a sweet-and-sour effect, and is a great one to serve for company as almost everyone likes it, even folks who don't much like more tex-mex chiles.

This is also from CANADIAN LIVING magazine, from many a year ago, in an article about the annual Stratford, Ontario, chili cook-off ("Heartburn Day"). This recipe from Oliver Rubber Company won the people's choice award five times in a row.

7 slices lean bacon
    1 lb lean ground beef
    1 onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 tbsp packed brown sugar
    2 tbsp fancy molasses
    1 can (19 oz) tomatoes
    1 can (14 oz) kidney beans
    1 can (14 oz) pork & beans
    1/3 cup vinegar
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1 tsp worcestershire sauce
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    dash hot pepper sauce

In a dutch oven, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Set aside. Drain most fat from pan.

Increase heat to medium-high. Add beef and onion. Cook, stirring and breaking up meat with spoon, for 10 minutes or till no longer pink. Drain off fat.

Crumble bacon back into pan. Add garlic, sugar, molasses, tomatoes, kidney beans, pork and beans, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce. Stir well. Cover and bake in 300 degree oven for 2 hours. Uncover and bake for 1 hour longer or until thickened.

Serves 4 (maybe more if two are not 20-year-olds) ;-)

**I used fresh tomatoes, peeled & quartered, since I had a bunch. Works fine.

**This is FANTASTIC with cornbread.

Zabby

• greekbecky
    15 years ago

Hi BrokenBar:

Your Roasted Pepper/Tomato Soup came out incredible! I am going to make more, but this time quadruple the recipe, because it didn't make as much as I wanted to freeze (maybe I cooked down on too high of heat). Tonight is the Tortellini, Sausage and Spinach Soup so I'll remember to add liquid when I defrost. Good tip!

• bella_trix
    15 years ago

Wow! These all look so good! I can't wait to try some.

I have two favorite soups. The first is a bean and kale soup which freezes well. I dont remember where I found the recipe. The only reason I'm looking forward to the first frost is to use my kale in this soup.

Kale and Bean Soup

Kale 10 12 ounces
    3 Cups Chicken Broth
    1 Baking Potato chopped into 1/4" pieces
    ½ medium yellow onion or substitute equal amount of shallots
    2 t garlic minced
    1 bay leaf
    2 15oz cans Cannellini beans (or 2 cups dry, soaked overnight; Calypso beans are also very good in this recipe)
    Salt and Pepper
    1 t lemon zest

- Boil kale for two minutes, drain and run under cold water, set aside
    - Add broth, potato, onion, garlic and bay leaf together and simmer until potato is tender
    - Add beans and cook over low heat (15min for canned, 30 min for dried)
    - Chop kale and add, cook for one minute more
    - Remove bay leaf, add lemon zest, salt and pepper

The next is a butternut squash soup from a cooking class I went to. It was a class pairing Unibroue beer with food, which worked remarkably well. The recipes were fantastic.

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

1 (1 ½ pound) butternut squash
    3 T olive oil
    ½ c. peeled and chopped Granny Smith apples
    1 c. small dice onion
    ½ c. small dice celery
    1 T minced garlic
    1 ½ quarts chicken stock
    2 t. apple cider vinegar
    1 pint half and half
    2 t. maple syrup
    1 t. fresh chopped sage leaves
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Crème Fraiche

- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
    - Split squash in half and deseed. Place squash flesh side down on an oiled sheet pan. Roast for 30 minutes until lightly caramelized and tender. Cool and scoop the flesh from skin
    - Saute apple, onion, celery and garlic in a soup pot, over medium heat for 10 min
    - Add squash, chicken stock and vinegar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 8 minutes
    - Add the remaining ingredients and remove from heat
    - Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth
    - Season with salt and pepper
    - Return soup to pot and cook over moderate heat until hot
    - Garnish each portion with a spoonful of crème fraiche

• zabby17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oooh, bella, a little apple in the butternut squash soup sounds soooo perfect! Yumm.... can't wait to try so many of these recipes, THANKS, GUYS!

Zabby

• spyfferoni
    15 years ago

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread.

This is my sisters recipe for a Vietnamese Chicken soup that is soooo good. She got it from Vietnamese friend. It has more ingredients and steps than your average soup, but it is soooo worth it. This is the recipe in her words:

Chicken Pho

What you will need:
    a large tea basket infuser/tea ball or cheese cloth
    a large pot
    fennel seeds
    whole cloves
    coriander seeds
    cinnamon sticks
    whole star anise seeds
    cardamom seeds- these and all of the above ingredients are very cheap at Asian or multicultural grocery stores where they are in large containers that are a fraction of the cost of tiny bottles at regular grocery stores
    whole black peppercorns (cheap at Costco or Sams Club)
    A bottle of hoisin sauce- in the Asian section of any grocery store
    A bottle of Sriracha Chili sauce (It is a red plastic bottle and it has a rooster on it and it is squirtable) I have found this at most grocery stores in the Asian section.)

All of the above ingredients will last through multiple batches.

Rice noodles (they come in varying sizes, the thinner the better)
    A whole chicken (I use chicken breasts instead)
    Fresh ginger root
    Two medium white onions
    One bunch green onions
    One bunch of cilantro
    One bunch of fresh basil
    A few limes
    Fresh bean sprouts
    3 large cans of chicken stock

Directions:
    Place 3 star anise seeds, 3-4 whole cloves, 1 cinnamon stick, 3 cardamon seeds, 2 TBS. of each fennel seeds and whole black peppercorns and 1 TBS. of coriander in the spice ball or cheese cloth. Place in the bottom of a large pot.

Peel 1 whole onion and trim off the ends. Place the whole onion in the pot.

Cut off about a 3 inch long piece of fresh ginger root, peel it and cut it into a couple of pieces.

Add the chicken stock and the whole chicken.

Cook over medium high until the chicken is cooked and easily comes off the bones. (An hour or two.)

While the soup is cooking you will need to prepare some fresh ingredients that are added to the soup at the table. Put all of them in a separate dish or a large platter to be placed on the table. Cut the limes in half. Rinse the bean sprouts. Peel and finely chop the remaining white onion. Julienne the fresh basil and finely chop the cilantro.

Remove the chicken from the broth and remove the bones from the chicken this is why I use chicken breasts. Return the bones to the still simmering broth and simmer for an additional 45 minutes.

When the chicken is cool enough to touch with your hands shred it into small pieces and place in a dish. It can be kept warm in a 200 degree oven if you wish but it is not necessary.

When the 45 minutes is up remove the bones from the broth, I just strain it into another pot to save time.

Continue simmering the broth.

Cook the rice noodles per the instructions on the package. When they are cooked strain them and place them in a bowl. They will stick together in a big lump, dont worry.

So now you are ready to prepare your bowl.
    Place a spoonful of the white and green onions, cilantro, basil and bean sprouts in your bowl. Add some of the chili sauce (Steve likes about a teaspoonful, I like a 4-5 drops as it is spicy) and a spoon or so of the hoisin sauce (it is a sweet sauce). Add as much chicken and noodles as youd like and then cover with piping hot broth. Stir it all together and then squeeze a lime over it. Get your chop sticks (or fork) and spoon ready and fill your mouth with the noodles, chicken and broth at about the same time. As you chew get ready for your taste buds to say thank you. I hope you enjoy this soup as much as we do!

I didnt like cilantro until this soup, all of the fresh and dry herbs mixed together give this soup a flavorful punch , to say the least. I put as much of the fresh ingredients in my bowl as I can get away with.

• brokenbar
    15 years ago

Becky, glad you liked the roasted pepper and tomato. Everyone I have ever made it for just loves it. I keep it in my crockpot in the winter so the hubby can grab some whenever he's in the house. I really like the tortellini as a meal becaus it is so filling. I make homemade italian bread (breadmaker...no kneading anything anymore!) to go with it. My only complaint is if you leave it overnight, you have to put in more broth because those little tortellini really suck up the moisture.

• dgkritch
    15 years ago

Sort of made this one up last weekend while using up bits from the garden!!
    All measurements are approximate and "non-critical". LOL

SUNNY CHOWDER
    (note the colors of the ingredients)

In a large saucepan or stockpot, place:
    2 c. chicken broth (one can)
    2 c. corn kernels
    1 med. yellow squash quarted the long way, then sliced into 1/2" or so chunks)
    1/2 c. chopped onion
    1-2 med. potatoes chopped in 1/2" chunks

Simmer till veggies are very tender.

Add:
    1 c. fat free half and half (cream, milk, whatever)
    1 c. fat free sour cream
    salt and pepper to taste
    Parmesean rind if you have it.

Simmer until cheese is melted or another 10-15 minutes.
    Best served with homemade bread, of course!

Optional Additions:
    Bacos (bacon flavored bits) or real crumbled bacon
    other veggies from the garden (you may have to rename it!)
    Chicken, turkey or ham, shellfish.

Deanna (also saving the whole thread)

• joybugaloo
    15 years ago

Ooh! Thanks for the shout-out, Zabby! And thanks, too, for the adorable "proposal soup" story. (Can you hear the "awwwwwwwwwww" from there?)

Actually, I have a yummy soup recipe to share that I haven't even blogged about yet! I just made it tonight, and it's delish. I adapted it from another blog called Culinary in the Country, and the author, in turn, adapted the recipe from Penzey's spices. Here it is:

Brat, Beer and Cheese Soup

1/4 cup olive oil
    2 cups sliced carrots
    1 cup finely chopped celery
    1 cup finely chopped onions
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
    6 cups chicken broth
    12 ounces beer
    1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder (I substituted 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne)
    1 teaspoon mustard powder
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon vegetable season salt (or kosher salt)
    1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley (or fresh, if you have it)
    3/4 cup half-and-half (or milk)
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    12 ounces shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
    3 cooked bratwursts, sliced (I used two large smoked sausages instead)

In a stock pot, heat oil over medium. Stir in carrot, celery and onion - cook until very tender, stirring often, about 12 to 15 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.

Add potatoes, broth and beer - bring mixture to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Season with mustard powder and chipotle (or chili/cayenne) powder, along with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and parsley.

Stir half-and-half and Worcestershire into the soup. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the cheese until melted and smooth. Stir in cooked bratwurst - heat until the soup has warmed through, about 5 more minutes.

Makes about 8 servings.

Enjoy! --Gina

• jude31
    14 years ago

Just checking to see if there were new recipes addded for soups suitable to can or freeze. Sure is a great thread.

jude

• zabby17
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jude, I'd almost forgotten about this thread! Thanks for resurrecting it.

I was going to post that where I live it's only just getting into serious harvest season --- the first tomatoes, beans, and squash all appeared in my garden last week --- and so it'd be another month or so before I was ready to move into "putting up cozy soups and stews" mode.

BUT then I remembered that it was down to about 50 degrees last night --- I had to get out extra blankets for my friends staying in our guesthouse --- and I think your timing may be about right!

Z

• jude31
    14 years ago

Zabby, I think it was 67 degrees when I got up around seven this morning and we're about finished with our first crop of tomatoes but the second ones are well on their way...same thing with the green beans. We've had a ton of rain, much needed I must say, this spring but especially early summer. We have raised beds so don't do the quantity of tomatoes that you do but plenty for us. I've canned green beans, Annies' salsa, roasted summer veggies, Roasted garlic tomato soup (freezer) and Chunky Tomato Pasta Sauce and a bunch of jams, which includes 2 new soon-to-be favorites...Raspberry chocolate jam and blueberry lime jam. Oh, I forgot, another favorite, lemon verbena jelly.
    jude

• ekgrows
    13 years ago

Bump! It's just about soup season!

• jillf
    13 years ago

Bump !!

• Colin4May
    12 years ago

I found, tried and tested this one.. it's great. The Chives give it an edge! The link below shows a picture of the soup, (and also links to other clear and tasty recipes)

Serves 4

2 minutes

23 minutes

Course
    Starters & Snacks

Dish
    3 litre (6 pt) bowl

Over accessory
    glass turntable

Course
    NN-CT870WBPQ, NN-CT880MBPQ, NN-CT890SBPQ

25g (1oz) butter
    1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
    700g (1� lb) peeled carrots, sliced
    700ml (1� pints) vegetable stock
    grated zest of � orange
    90ml (6tbsp) orange juice
    60ml (4tbsp) cr�me fraiche
    salt & black pepper
    15ml (1tbsp) fresh chives, cut into pieces

• MLcom
    12 years ago

dropping to the 20s here tonight thought this would be a good place to read again

ml

• malna
    9 years ago

I know...I KNOW. It's NOT soup and stew weather.

But there was too many good recipes in this post to let it drop off the cliff.

• hawaiisam
    9 years ago

Sometimes you find a recipe with a combination of ingredients that sounds so bizarre you just have to try it to see if against all odds it could possibly turn out good. This one is a favorite of ours and is also a very good reason to always have pickled jalapenos on hand. Recipe originally came from the Peach Tree Tea Room Cookbook. I confess I always get confused between sweet potatoes and yams so have made it with both. Winter squash too.

Jalapeno Sweet Potato Soup

Ingredients:

3 slices bacon, finely chopped
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 T. butter
    3 cloves garlic, sliced
    4# sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
    8 c. chicken broth
    1/4 c. pickled jalapeno pepper, coarsely chopped
    2 T. jalapeno juice
    1 t. cumin
    1/4 t. baking soda
    1/2 c. cilantro leaf
    1 1/2 c. milk
    1 t. salt
    1 t. black pepper

In a large stock pot, sauté bacon and onion in butter until just tender (I fry it until the bacon is crisp and remove it to be added back at the end)

Add garlic and cook about 2 more minutes.

Add sweet potatoes, chicken broth, pickled jalapenos, jalapeno juice and cumin.

Cover and cook until potatoes are tender (20-30 minutes or so).

When done, add soda, cilantro and milk.

Coarsely mash with a potato masher (or immersion blender).

Simmer 15 minutes stirring frequently.

• hawaiisam
    9 years ago

This recipe originally appeared in the New York Times. Seems too simple to be this delicious but it is a wonderful marriage of flavors.

Red Wine Pinto Beans with Smoky Bacon

Ingredients:

1/2# smoky bacon, diced
    1 large onion, peeled and diced
    2 celery stalks, diced
    2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 large sprigs rosemary
    1# dried pinto beans, soaked overnight
    1 T. coarse kosher salt
    2 c. dry red wine
    Optional toppings: olive oil, coarsely grated Parmesan, black pepper or red pepper flakes

In the bottom of a large pot over medium-high heat, brown bacon until golden, about 5 minutes. (I like to remove the crisp bacon and add it back at the end). Stir in onion, celery, carrots, garlic and rosemary. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegies are tender, 5-7 minutes.

Drain beans and add to pot along with 1 T. salt. Pour in enough water to just cover the beans (about 7-8 cups). Bring liquid to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently until beans are just tender, 45 mins - 1 hour.

Meanwhile, in a small pot over medium heat, simmer wine until it is reduced to 2/3 cup, 20-30 mins.

Remove rosemary branches from bean pot and discard them. Pour wine into beans and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10-20 mins. longer to meld flavors and thicken broth to taste. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with Parmesan, if desired; add more salt and black or red pepper to taste.