Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sosusie

Accidentaly restarted pressure canner while cooling

sosusie
10 years ago

I'm knee deep in food to can- not complaining BUT coupled with an undiagnosed case of dyslexia....well here's the problem:
While waiting for pressure to drop in the pressure canner, I started heating a pot of tomato juice to jar and process. The pressure canner was still on the burner as it is too heavy for me to move when full.
Imagine my surprise when several minutes later the canner started to jiggle again....yup I had turned on the wrong burner. I Immediately turned it off, and started cooling it again. All the jars sealed but I am worried this somehow compromised the safety of the food?
It was 7 quarts of NCHF's recipe for Zucchini and tomatoes.

Comments (8)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I can't answer to the safety, I would think they would be ok, but I can re-assure you that we've all done something like that. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

This is one of those borderline issues where you have to choose the odds you are comfortable with accepting.

Technically, for full safety, they would need to be fully reprocessed because of the potential effects on the seals when they were brought back up to pressure. There is no way to know if the seals released allowing pressurized air into the jar and then re-sealed or not.

The odds are at least 50/50 that the jars had already sealed and didn't release so are safe for shelf storage. But that can't be assured. The choice is your to make.

If this was a high acid food I wouldn't be concerned personally. But it isn't. So if they were mine I would probably put new lids on them and reprocess them for the full time and I have made the same mistake and done just that in the past. They are more mushy but still fine to use.

The alternative would be to refrigerate these jars and use them ASAP. Realistic if only a few jars. If a full batch few of us would want 7 quarts of them sitting in the fridge to use within the next week.

It is a good example of why trying to do multiple things at the same time when canning just isn't a good idea. It really increases the chances of errors.

Dave

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Personally, I would be comfortable with them because they were properly processed initially and did not sit out for some time at a warm temperature before the (brief) re-processing.

It would be even less problematic if the product were to be used in soups or stews or otherwise long-cooked once opened.

But at Dave says, it is a judgment call.

Here's another option: Refrigerate the jars for now. Contact Oregon Extension "Ask an Expert" food preservation authority and inquire with them. If they say the contents are good to go, you can shelve them. I was surprised to get a response within a few hours.

Their food preservation hotline is also still open for an immediate answer. OSU has a very active Extension and someone there will provide a definitive response.

The hotline at 1-800-354-7319 runs 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from July 15 to Oct. 11.

Let us know if you find anything out and what you decide.

And welcome to the world of canning snafus. We all have at least one tale to tell.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: OSU Ask an Expert

• sosusie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol I followed your advice and emailed the OSU Ask An Expert. Evidentially my jars of zucchini and tomatoes are okay. I copied and pasted most of my post here (omitted the knee deep and dyslexic part), not totally sure they understood from the reply below as it seems "off" somehow to me..... does it to you?

Here's the response to your question:
    Hi:
    If the full cooking process ended and was starting to cool I would say that the product is okay. Just be sure that the cooling step was completed as per schedule and the integrity of the containers have not been compromised.(containers are in good shape with no damage).
    Hope this helps. Thank you for using eXtension.

-Ramon C.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Just be sure that the cooling step was completed as per schedule and the integrity of the containers have not been compromised.

Possible they did not understand.

But that's just it, the cooling process was not completed as per schedule. You were still waiting for the pressure to drop in the canner.

And the seals may or may not have been compromised. We just can't know.

However since more than 24 hours has passed it is too late now to reprocess them anyway.

It is your choice. Assuming you refrigerated them ASAP rather than reprocessing them then they can remain there for quick use or as Carol said, if you keep them beyond that time they will need to be treated with care and well cooked before consuming.

Dave

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

deleted duplicate post

This post was edited by digdirt on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 23:20

• readinglady
    10 years ago

I read it differently. As I see it, the response is that assuming the food was properly processed (which it was) and that once you realized the canner was reheating you went through the usual cooldown and wait time and all seals are good and the jars are not compromised, the food is fine.

I believe that's the intent and accords with my original impression. However, we've given you the most conservative options for the product and depending upon your comfort level you can decide which to go with.

Every one of us has a different sense of what feels "right" and what we can most easily live with and no one but you can make the final decision.

Carol

• calliope
    10 years ago

I read it the same way Carol does and I would not personally have bothered to reprocess either if when I finally finished the cool-down the lids were all set and sealed. Here is why. There was no interruption in heat to finish the process of a total heat-kill of spores. If anything, it was extended. It is so different in priniciple than a cool down (where she may have let off the steam and therefore interrupted that process )......it was continued on longer than necessary. The pressure cooker itself maintained a positive pressure, regardless of whether the jars sealed as it was cooling down, and therefore since it didn't cool off too soon, and also didn't pull in any sort of contamination to a supposedly clean environment, it would seem to not have an impact. Had she disrupted the cool down too soon, as opposed to too late it would be whole different issue. But then again, it's her choice to make.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer