Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Only a few cucumbers at a time...

Posted by Rosie025 CO (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 3, 11 at 10:21

I mistakenly only planted a handful of pickling cucumber plants this year, so only have a few cucumbers ripe at one time.
Does anyone know of a recipe where I can add cucumbers as I pick them into a large container in the refrigerator? If I use a refrigerator pickle recipe, is there any safety concern by adding pickles several at a time?
Or if I ferment them, could I add a few at a time?

Thank you for your help!
Rose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Only a few cucumbers at a time...

Make up a brine and process a few jars at a time is my suggestion.

o

Agree with Linda. The problem with trying to add a few at a time is that the brine quickly gets diluted by the water in the cukes. Then bacteria and stuff can grow in it and the pickle flavor is weak and 'off'.

We've had several discussions here about this issue lately as it is a common problem for those new to making pickles and the recommendation is always the same - you either have to grow more cukes (12-15 plants) to have enough to make a batch at one time or you have to make small pint or smaller batches as your cukes become available. Trying to store the cukes for several days until you get enough only results in mushy pickles since they need to be fresh picked at pickle making time.

Dave

o

You can ferment them in smaller batches - just mix the brine and keep it in the fridge, pack a jar at a time and pour the brine in (I'd warm it in the MW slightly first) and set it out. Though you'd have to keep track of when you started each jar!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here