Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenquest_gw

Canning Tomatoes - no pressure canner?

gardenquest
17 years ago

HI i dont have a pressure canner, and i also cannot borrow one. ( no-one i know has one) I would like to make some tomato sauce and some stewed tomatoes wondering if it is safe to do in a bwb? I have canned a few times before, and i do have all the equipment for BWB canning.

any good suggestions?

Any good recipes? - the only recipes i can find require a pressure canner. Need to know how long to process.

thanks

Comments (3)

• booberry85
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's a few. The Basil Tomato sauce comes from Small Batch Preserving. The recipe for Annie's salsa is for a pressure canner. It can be adapted to a waterbath canner method by increasing the vinegar from 1/3 cup to 1 cup. The roasted tomato garlic soup is also for a pressure canner. The soup can be frozen but cannot be water bath canned. Sorry, I've never stewed a tomato!

ANNIES SALSA
    8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
    2 ½ cups chopped onion
    1 ½ cups chopped green pepper
    3 Â 5 chopped jalapenos
    6 cloves minced garlic
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp pepper
    1/8 cup canning salt
    ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/3 cup vinegar
    16 oz. tomato sauce
    16 oz tomato paste
    Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints.
    Makes 6 pints

Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
    Recipe By :Katie
    12 tomatoes -- *see Note
    2 carrots -- cut in 1" pieces
    1 large onion -- quartered
    2 whole heads garlic -- peeled (or more, to taste)
    olive oil
    2 cups chicken broth -- (or 3)
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil -- (or 1 Tbsp. dried)
    Core tomatoes and cut in half. Place, cut side up, on foil covered cookie sheet with carrots, onion and garlic. Brush with olive oil. Bake at 400F for about an hour, or until vegies are roasted and a little blackened. Place in a large saucepan with the chicken broth and basil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Blend with a stick blender (or in small batches in a blender) until almost smooth. To can: Process in a pressure canner, pints for 60 min. and quarts for 70 min.For dial gauge canners use 11 pounds pressure at 0-2000 ft., 12 lbs. at 2001-4000 ft., 13 lbs. at 4001-6000 ft. and 14 lbs. above 6000 ft. For weighted gauge canners use 10 lbs. pressure at 0-1000 ft., and 15 lbs. over 1000 ft. *Note: These measurements are approximate...I use whatever it takes to cover the cookie sheet. This makes 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of soup. Cream may be added to taste when the soup is served.

Irene's Sassy Salsa
    6 lbs. tomatoes, peeled and cut up
    4 green sweet peppers (I ususally use a mix of some mild, some bannana, and some poblanos or anaheims if they have them in the store. Be careful, because you don't want more peppers than the recipe calls for)
    3 red sweet peppers
    1 lb. (2 large) onions, peeled and cut up
    at least two jalepenos
    1-2 stalks celery
    1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley or cilantro
    2 TBLSP sugar
    2 TBLSP paprika (You can use hot or mild, depending on your taste)
    1 TBLSP salt
    2 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
    2 TBLSP dry mustard
    1 TBLSP garlic powder
    1 1/2 tsp pepper
    1-2 tsp chili powder
    1 1/2 cups vinegar (or part lemon or lime juice)
    Put the chopped veggies and seasonings in a big heavy duty nonreactive pot. Add the vinegar. Bring to a boil, then simmer at least 30 minutes, until very thick. Ladle into hot sterilized jars, (I use the wide mouth 1/2 pints). Process 15 minutes in a BWB.

* Exported from MasterCook *
    Chunky Basil Pasta Sauce
    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    8 cups (2 L) coarsely chopped peeled tomatoes -- (about 9-12 tomatoes or 4 lb/2 kg)
    1 cup chopped onion -- (250 mL)
    3 cloves garlic -- minced
    2/3 cup red wine -- (150 mL)
    1/3 cup red wine vinegar (5 % strength) -- (75 mL)
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil -- (125 mL)
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley -- (15 mL)
    1 teaspoon pickling salt -- (5 mL)
    1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar -- (2 mL)
    1 6-oz/156 mL) can tomato paste
    Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, wine, vinegar, basil, parsley, salt, sugar and tomato paste in a very large non-reactive pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until mixture reaches desired consistency, stirring frequently.
    Remove hot jars from canner and ladle sauce into jars to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of rim (head space). Process 35 minutes for pin (500 mL) jars and 40 minutes for quart (1 L) jars in a BWB.
    Yield:
    "8 cups"
    Note: This sauce also makes an excellent base for a quick pizza.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    * Exported from MasterCook *
    Multi-Use Tomato Sauce
    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    10 plum tomatoes -- (about 2 1/2 lbs./1 kg)
    10 large tomatoes -- peeled and chopped (about 4 lbs./2 kg)
    4 large garlic cloves -- minced
    2 large stalks celery -- chopped
    2 medium carrots -- chopped
    1 large onion -- chopped
    1 large zucchini -- chopped
    1 large sweet green pepper -- chopped
    1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes -- (125 mL)
    2/3 cup dry red wine -- (150 mL)
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar (5% strength or more) -- (125 mL)
    2 bay leaves
    1 tablespoon pickling salt -- (15 mL)
    2 teaspoons dried oregano -- (10 mL)
    2 teaspoons dried basil -- (10 mL)
    1 teaspoon granulated sugar -- (5 mL) (optional)
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon -- (2 mL) (optional)
    1/4 teaspoon ground pepper -- (2 mL)
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley -- (50 mL)
    Combine tomatoes, celery, garlic, onion, zucchini and green pepper in a very large non-reactive pan. Add 1 cup (250 mL) water. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and boil gently, covered, for 25 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken, stirring occasionally.
    Soak sun-dried tomatoes in boiling water until softened. Drain and dice. Add to sauce with wine, vinegar, bay leaves, salt, oregano, basil, sugar, cinamon and pepper. Continue to boil gently until desired consistency, stirring frequently. Discard bay leaves and stir in parsley.
    Remove hot jars from canner and ladle sauce into jars to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of rim (head space). Process in a BWB 35 minutes for pint (500 mL) jars and 40 minutes for quart (1 L) jars.
    Yield:
    "12 cups"

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Certainly you can bwb tomatoes and tomato products. They are considered to be a high-acid food. However, USDA recomendation is that you add extra acid just to be safe.

The recommendation is 1 tbls bottled lemon juice per pint, or 2 tbls per quart.

Recommended processing time for tomato sauce is 35 minutes for pints, 40 minutes for quarts.

As to the other, depends on how you define "stewed." The Ball Blue Book, for instance, has a recipe that includes all sorts of other garden truck. For that you need to pressure can because of the addition of low-acid veggies.

For tomatoes alone, however, just follow the recipe for tomatoes packed in their own juice. For that you put the tomatoes (whole, quartered or diced/crushed) in a hot jar along with the additional acid. Gently press down on the tomatoes until their natural juice fills the jar to within 1/2 inch of the top.

Remove air bubbles, adjust lids, and process pints and quarts 85 minutes in a BWB.

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

I add the necessary acid and can in a BWB or Steam canner

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH