Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kai615

Applesauce question.

kai615
11 years ago

We got a great deal on apples this weekend at the orchard. We went to pick about 20 lbs, so I could make some apple pie and maybe a little apple butter, but if you picked over 40 lbs, the price went from $1.29/lb to $.50/lb. Hubby and kids ended up picking 55 lbs. A little more than I intended, but a great deal. Anyway, I have a good deal of canning to do this week.

Unfortunately I have never actually made applesauce or apple butter before. These apples are INCREDIBLY small. I can not imagine peeling every one of these. For some reason when I was standing in the orchard and my husband asked me if I need to peel them to make what I needed, I was thinking about jelly (which I will also be making now) and said no.

I have since read online that you don't need to peel the apples to make applesauce (and I assume apple butter also). You cook with skins on, put through food mill, and the skins are sifted out. But of course this doesn't mean it is safe for canning. I know with tomatoes I have heard a lot of bacteria is in the skin.

Any thoughts? Does anyone keep skins on while making the applesauce or butter? Do they sift out easily? These apples are about the size of plums. I will be a very long week if I have to peel them all.

Thanks in advance,

Kalindi

Comments (5)