Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malna_gw

I Need a New Gizmo-Recommendations?

malna
10 years ago

DH is really tired of mincing garlic (he did 48 cloves over the weekend - plus chopping all the onions and peppers and tomatoes and tomatillos, etc - and said "Enough!"). I looked on amazon.com for "garlic mincers" and there are a bazillion.

Anybody have one they love (and I could get from amazon)? This would be for canning and using in our regular cooking, too.

I was looking at the Kuhn one and the Joseph rocker type, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

I just use a garlic press, not really minced, but it works.

The Vidalia Onion choppers, as seen on tv, really DO work for peppers, onions, etc. I love that thing. Nice uniform dices in my relish. Found at thrift store for $3. You can run it through the dishwasher just fine on the top rack.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I used a older Veg-o-matic for several years. We also inherited a nut chopper from my mother. Basically its a jar with a spring loaded chopping x. Small tho.

• canfan
    10 years ago

I have one of those 10.00 (or less) mini electric processors. I use i quite a bit really. It minces (with a couple of open/scrape bowl) adequately for my liking. It comes in handy for tarter sauces, crackers (for casserole toppings) and more. If you frequent yard sales you can often find them for a buck. Just plug it in to make sure it works.

• NilaJones
    10 years ago

If you are canning or pickling with that garlic, I would just put the cloves in whole or maybe cut in half, and figure the flavor will spread out with cooking and storage.

I have health issues and have to ration my cooking energy :).

Alternately, if you have an electric 'chopper' (really a tiny food processor) or a blender, you could put all the cloves in there at once.

• thatcompostguy
    10 years ago

Flat bottom stainless steel bowl with a biscuit cutter works on nuts for me. I don't see why it wouldn't work for garlic en masse. My biscuit cutter is serrated and sharp.

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

Do you know how to peel garlic en masse by using 2 bowls? I have a press too, but rarely use it, sticking to my knives, but I can see where hubby complained. And a processor turns garlic and onion to mush in my opinion. I like the look of the rocker one better, or one of the mini choppers that might be more multipurpose.

• NilaJones
    10 years ago

I find the two-bowls method a hassle, myself.

I peel them by laying the flat side of a knife on top of the garlic clove/s (on cutting board) and pressing the blade down with my hand, to compress the cloves a little.

This loosens the skin right up, and no bowls to wash :).

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Instead of preserving MINCED garlic I would rather do it whole, to keep more of the flavor. But if you can mince it with any food processor with mincing blade. Once I owned a restaurant and used food processor as I said. I have stopped using pre minced garlic for personal use long time ago. Nothing can beat the fresh.
    But then we all have our preferences, don't we !

• bcskye
    10 years ago

I got the rocker style mincer quite a while ago after reading some praise for it on here. I've had mini food processors for several years and they are a real time saver in regular use as well as canning. I had to do a lot of apple recipes for the Apple Fest at church this past weekend and I used the mini processor for chopping apples down to a grated size as well as chopping nuts. The bowl, blade and lid are dishwasher safe on the top shelf. I'm getting ready to buy another one to put in the motorhome so I don't have to tote the present one back and forth.

For larger dices (tomatoes, onions, peppers) I just prefer to use a regular knife and to it that way. I can get the size I want fairly quickly. But, that's just my preference.

• NilaJones
    10 years ago

Oh, I didn't realise you were canning garlic by itself! I thought you were mincing it for use in recipes.

Does it not keep all winter where you live, if you just hang it up dry?

• calliope
    10 years ago

I also hang my garlic to dry successfully. If it's a good homegrown garlic (especially hardneck) and harvested properly and stored in the right place, it should be good for months on end. I also do the same routine she does with the flat blade of a knife. If I must mince onions, I use my ulu knife.