Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sosusie

Pear Juice?

sosusie
9 years ago

We have a tree full of ripe very juicy sweet pears. I can't find much info on making and canning juice from them. I have an apple press and was toying with running them through that, or would it be better to core and cook down then extract the juice? And what would processing times be?
Have already made two batches of pear/applesauce and will dehydrate, freeze, and can a few too, but need a way to get these used up before they spoil and juice seemed like the ideal way to go......

Comments (3)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

You can make pear juice just like you would apple juice. Either method works. But making juice is more work than just making sauce so why not just can them as pear sauce - useful for many baking things later on. Same for canning them sliced/diced - easier than juicing.

Since you don't know the variety be sure to add the lemon juice or citric acid no matter how you do them since they are less acidic than apples. Especially if you are using windfalls at all.

Dave

• pqtex
    9 years ago

Personally, I don't care much for pear sauce, but we love pear juice, so I can lots and lots of pear juice each season. My pear trees are an early maturing variety, I've already picked the pears, let them ripen in our cool room for a while, and canned them by the end of July! I can dozens of jars of the juice. I do make some pear sauce for my mother, plus some jams, pie filling, pear mincemeat, etc. I follow the recipe for apple juice in the Ball Blue Book. I don't add citric acid or lemon juice because my pear is not the Asian pear variety. I also don't use windfalls. I have made the juice a variety of ways...steam juicer, roma sauce maker, slightly cooking and then draining in a large bag. The steam juicer was my least favorite, as it gave too much of a cooked flavor. My favorite was waiting until the pears were really ripe and juicy and I could process in the roma sauce maker with minimal, if any, pre-cooking. After the juice was extracted, I let sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours to let the juice & any sediment settle. I strain the juice several times (my preference), then heated according to the Ball instructions. Love, love, love it. I drink it plain, or spiced up with cinnamon and cloves and cardamom. I add it to iced tea for a very refreshing drink, too. I actually find making juice to be one of the easiest things to process. Kind of messy, but easy. Do a search here...there are several threads on pear juice.

• sosusie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pretty sure these aren't Asian pears, but will google just to make sure. If there is any doubt I will acidify them.
    Jill, I too, find juice making an easy way to deal with lots of fruit, especially with the apple press so hope that works well with the pears too.
    Unfortunately the two of us can only eat so many jars of canned pears, applesauce, pearsauce etc. but the grandkids look forward to our fresh apple and grape juice so we manage to use all of that. Now they will have pear juice to choice from too. May even make a batch of jelly. Thanks!